Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Float Tube??? U boat???

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Joesmax

Joesmax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 07:44 AM

Any suggestions, pit falls ect on float tubing I got one for christmas and just wondering What I should or shouldn't do, or buy Ect????

#2 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 08:07 AM

Rivers can be very tricky. I wouldn't recommend it, unless it's slow moving water and deep enough. I had a buddy float one of our rivers with me. I was in a pontoon and he was fighting it the entire time. In shallow water he had to walk it and in the deep water it was hard to steer. (this was a relatively fast river)

For ponds and small lakes it's the cat's ass. Keep an eye on the winds, stay out of thick weeds and get some good fins.

Wear a life vest.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#3 Joesmax

Joesmax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:27 AM

Thanks, Are there fins made for this? I used fins for diving begore but i would think they are to heavy!

#4 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 10:37 AM

You need some to go over your waders unless you wet-wade. I may still have mine in the garage. If I do and they are in good shape, I'll sell them at a huge discount.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#5 Joesmax

Joesmax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 11:59 AM

Great let me know....but im celebrating my birthday with the inlaws on sunday...he purchased the tube's for me and the wife ... he went to cabbelas near us so he might have picked them up already..

#6 Troutman

Troutman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 02:45 PM

I would say stay out of the rivers, there are a few river rated tubes out there but in general stick to the still water. I would suggest that you get good fins with a bit of flex to them. The hard plastic ones don't work well at all. I've got some made by creek company and they are the ticket (only about $35.00). Float tubing is a lot of fun and you can tell the Mrs. that you're getting excersise to thumbup.gif.

Have fun and Tight lines

Jim

#7 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 07:19 AM

one tip buy a long rod. i fish a 9 ft 6wt and considering a 10 or 11ft 8 wt. to keep line up higher to cast those bigger bugs to bass and pike. but other than that tubes are comfy provided you aren't trying to cover a whole lake or trying to keep up with you buddy and his wife in a friggin canoe. Oh that is a different and long story maybe later.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#8 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 08:25 AM

I'll second the long rod suggestion.

Another suggestion, dress warm under the waders, even in the summer. You won't necessarily feel cold but after kicking around a couple hours, the leg cramps can set in!

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#9 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:18 PM

i'll second the leg cramps!

Especially when you are chasing a canoe and 2 people paddling it. oh no there i go agian. hey annyone out there i noticed under my name it says baitfisherman. how long to i am a "real" fisherman. ya know a flyfisherman!
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#10 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:30 PM

I think you got to make a certian amount of posts to change it.
don't ya just hate that?
on another fishing web site I started out as an egg. LOL.

OSD.
user posted image

#11 Esox

Esox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:22 PM

The U-Boat style are a lot easier to get into and out of as opposed to the tube style. I used to have an electric trolling motor mounted on deck I made to fit my old tube, and lashed that to my U-Boat. Sure could cover a lot of water that way.

#12 flymaster

flymaster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:59 AM

blink.gif trolling motor on a tube? that is great can you ski behind it. no seriously do you have to register it then? who knows about Va it is a communist state, i mean a commonwealth. ya know make up laws as you go. i work for the state i would know! but need to look into that too i have seen the motor mounts in cabelas.
CPR Catch-Photo-Release!

#13 DementedFish

DementedFish

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 February 2004 - 09:22 PM

i have a U shaped tube and i love it! Tubes are EASY to use. Nothing u should or shouldnt do, just wear a tackle vest so u can keep track of things easier. And dont go float tubing in moving water, unless it is very slow smile.gif

#14 Esox

Esox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:57 AM

Flymaster, In Michigan it had to be registered. Thats why I quit doing it. Conservation Officer was kind enough to not inform me of this in writing.

They also make some fins for tubing called Gaiters or something like that. I got some from Cabellas years back. They are hinged contraptions that let you move around facing forward. instead of backwards like using fins. They aren't as efficient a means of propulsion, but it sure is nice to be facing in the direction of travel.

#15 redneckshadrap

redneckshadrap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 14 February 2004 - 07:28 AM

I would check the water levels. I have both ODC 816 and a float tube. Each have their applications depending on the size of the stream.
Float tube, on smaller flows, can add so much to the way you fish. It allows more than just a ride through the riffles. You can store alot of the gear in the pockets that you would have crammed into your flyvest. Leaving you, a little less weighted when fishing. It allows you a safe passage through some water where if wading you could fall and get soaked. Looking at fast rapids can sometimes be an illusion until you're floating on them. We have floated class 3's with no problem. If you're not comfortable with a rapid, then you can easily get out and pass it on land or ease through it.You can learn to manover that tube like a car with your feet. If you can swim and tread water, you;ll be able to steer this thing real easy.
It allows more stealth. You're fishing presence to the fish's will be cut in half. Those wading-toe-bump-stagger-splash-&$&$frig there he goes-spookings will drop dramactially.
The ODC is a different animal. Very strong frame and oar system. Capacity 400lb weight 40lbs. A lot of the folks that fish in the bigger eastern rivers use these. For bigger rivers where you're going to do longer floats it's awesome. I personally would take this thing over a canoe any day. You cannot flip it. I've can down some 2-ft drops with ease. It's bouyancy is unbelieveable.

Have fun in your new float. Don't let it sit around in the garage collecting dust. It's a great way to fish...

Wear a PFD.
Billy
Billy Elkins
-founder-
TheCreekBank.com