Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Your Preference?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sticky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 05:23 PM

I mean flyline related, specifically Sinktip vs Poly leader vs floating line with weight.

I want to fish the lower water column more effectively for smallie and wanted some opinions. Are poly leaders really good? or is that all hype? Teeny mini-tip? Floating with weight just seems to spend too little time in the "strike zone".

#2 Jim Hester in MD

Jim Hester in MD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 January 2004 - 12:19 AM

I use a floating fly line most of the time for any type of bass fishing I do, and when I need to, utilize a weighted leader, and weighted fly. However I also have a full sinking & sink tip lines. I think it really depends on the waters I'm fishing, depth & current strength will make a difference in what I decide to use. Most of the time, because the waters I fish are relatively shallow, under 6 ft in depth, I have no problem with using the floater.

Also, let me add that I rarely cast farther than 40 ft, and for Smallie fishing in moving water, if the depth is over 6 ft, will most often keep my casts within 30 ft of me. It's my opinion that controling any line in moving water is difficult enough, but if I'm trying to fish deep it's nearly impossible to control beyond the 30 - 40 ft range. The only exception would be fishing straight down current with a lot of weight, & if I have to resort to that, I might as well be using spinning or baitcasting tackle instead.