Fly Tying
Lucian.Vasies

Moustique CDC Quill Dry

It is a fly popular on rivers from north Alps ( Swiss part close to France), France and Slovenia too. This model is considered a searching fly for late Spring and for Summer. It is usually tied on size #14 but you can go down till #18. Works very well on slow and medium running rivers. In Slovenia or Jura mountains from France is considered a must have fly.

moustique-cdc-fly-blog.jpg

classic-moustique.jpg

Moustique-back-view.jpg

If you will visit those parts of Europe then I recommend to have this fly in your boxes :)

cheers,

Lucian

I like that little splash of yellow on the one. Both are great looking flies.

Your skill at tying them is excellent.

Beautiful bugs, makes me more interested in CDC. I'm guessing that in #16 they will catch fish in most of N. America also, probably beyond my skill.

@thanks Grape :)

@feathers5 - just as a simple dry fly, nothing special. I use it on super clear rivers with medium-slow running waters. I also use something similar but tied wet with less hackle, usually just a half cdc feather.

It is similar to a Cinberg or Jingler, where a soft hackle is wound in front. Lucian uses CDC in place of the typical hackle used in the two I mentioned.

Agree, based on info received from a friend of mine, this model is tied for more then 80years. It is common in Jura mountains from France and was noticed first time between first and second world war. Was tied often with body made of quill from hen feathers . Something similar was tied with yellow and red silk too.

I used a lot the yellow body version on rivers from Slovenia, extremely efficient