Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Foam for Gurglers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 walpy

walpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:50 PM

I want to try and tie up some Gurglers (because they look fun)...

I don't know what thickness of foam sheets I should buy? I see 2mm through 1" thickness in online stores.

Thanks!

#2 mvendon

mvendon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Hi walpy,

Peter Frailey came up with a Gurgle pop that's along the same lines. His step by step is  here with all of the info for the materials to tie it. 

Regards,

Mark

#3 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

Jack Gartside used 2mm, feel free to use 1mm
Doubled or tripled. But 2-4mm all work fine. I get my foam everywhere. Walmart- amazon- craft shops And fly shops too

#4 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

I just buy mine from Michael's, cheap lots of colors works fine.

#5 niveker

niveker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:02 PM

I love using Gurgler's for panfish and bass; they work great, are fast and easy to tie, and are super cheap.  

All I've ever used is foam sheets from either Wal-mart or the big craft stores, 2mm. 

A while back, I accidentally bought a big variety pack of foam sheets with adhesive on one side, but was pleasantly surprised when I found out that two sheets will hold together surprisingly well when the two sticky sides are put together.  Great for creating a thicker foam sheet as well as creating layered colors on one fly.  

#6 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:43 PM

Michael's is only about 2 miles from me, so I get all my foam from them.  Problem with Walmart is they usually only have assortment packs. of 6 by 9" sheets.  Many color you may not use.  Michael's sells a 12 by 18" sheet of 2mm for about a buck, and you can get the colors you want.  It's even cheaper with a coupon.  ALWAYS use a coupon when shopping at Michael's or Joann Fabrics.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#7 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Pretty  much what everyone else said.   I get mine at craft stores.  Much cheaper than at a fly shop.  I use mostly 2 mm or 3 mm foam.  I catch most fish when I use gurglers with either white or yellow.   I've had some issues with sticky back foam when making two tone flies.  I've had the foam separate a few times when wrapping it down on the hook.  

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#8 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,198 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:05 PM

If you're okay with 1mm foam ... you can usually find packages of several colors at Dollar Tree.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 petelangevin

petelangevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:10 PM

Cheech from fly fish food has a great video on gluing closed cell foam. Its really easy

#10 niveker

niveker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:18 AM

I catch most fish when I use gurglers with either white or yellow.   

Green works well for me, as well as white and yellow. 

I tied some up with red and had one really good day with them, but it was only that one day, for some reason.  They never did well again.  Strange

#11 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:00 AM

I'll agree with everybody else about micheals or craft store foam. Buy the single sheets for a buck as the variety packs seem to be thinner. In not sure how thick the single sheets are but I don't think they are quite 2MM but they are close enough. I fish a lot of gurglers and I've never felt a need to double or glue multiple sheets together. I do tie hoppers where I glue three sheets together. No need to over think it, simply super glue the pieces together as needed.

Fly tying foam is a rip off.

#12 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 10:10 AM

https://www.jackgart...tep_gurgler.htm

Jack said to use foam at least 1/8" thick and that is I think about 3mm. but I use stuff from Walmart or Dollar Tree that is 2 mm and they catch bass in my creek. I don't think color matters much so mine are white, more visible to me in low light.

#13 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:41 AM

For larger gurgler I use foam "door hangers" from Walmart. Yellow is my primary color.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#14 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 05:08 PM

Foam is fun and the sky is the limit! Ive made frogs, turtles, hoppers, divers, stoneflies shrimp(gurglers), etc. You could do searches.
IMG-4554.png

IMG-3040.jpg
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#15 walpy

walpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:12 AM

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help & info!

I'll make a pit stop at Michaels when I'm out running errands this week for sure.