Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kingfisher

Preferred Brand of Hooks

For freshwater fly fishing, which is your preferred brand of hooks?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tiemco because its the only barbless my local store carries. odd for a state that has special trout waters that require barbless hooks... dunno.gif

Josh

As many flies as tie and use during the year I can't see paying 400% more for with little or even questionable quality differences.

If you say the hook isn't as sharp out of the box then a couple passes over a sharpening stone will cure that.

Maybe I'm just cheap but I still the standard Mustad hook

OSD.

This is a tough one. I love the Daiichi and the Partridges. Mostly because I use the two to tie my spey flies on. But use the Daiichi for most of my lowwater salmon/steelhead flies and misc. But, for most of my business tying (and most of my standard salmon fly hooks for fishing) I use Dairiki's. Mostly because I can buy them in bulk inexpensively. And to date, have had virtually no problems with them.

BUT, I have heard that Mustad is supposed to have a new salmon hook, or improving the one previously made. Haven't heard all the details, but a rumor I had heard. Will see.

I use the Daichii' also. It's DEFINITELY a convenience thing as they're tough to get around here. Like them not only because of the fact they're sharp and durable but I also like the "micro-barbs". Much easier to get out of a fish I intend to release anyway.

Really hard to say, i have and still do use all the ones mentioned and i find certian ones fit each pattern such as Mustads for salmon, Partrudge for "classic" styles, daichi for trout ect,ect..

SD

I would say that 90% of my flies are tied on Mustad hooks. I never had any problems with them and they are cheap!!!!

I use Patridge for all my Salmon flys, I'm going to get some Alex Jackson hooks soon want to test the Spey & Dee Waters someday soon. I like the gold finish one's.

As for trout, Mustad is my choice, not sure why though....I guess cause I started out on Mustad and that's all the local shops carried. Now that I have ordering power I'm testing the water with other brands.

What I use most is a pretty easy question.

Eagle Claw

Most of my flies are clouser minnows fished in very rocky places for stripers and most of my flies end up attached to these rocks.

If each hook cost a buck I'd probably fish more conservatively and catch less fish - with the Eagle Claw 100 for 5 bucks deal I can loose as many as I want and I catch more fish because of it.

For tuniods I use Varias they have short shanks sharp hooks and I've never had one rust, break, or bend.

I as well tie mainly on Eagle Claws for fresh water. I've tied long enough that I tied through the period of really bad Mustad hooks (in the late 80s and early 90s - whole boxes of misshaped hooks (e.g. no closed eyes, misbent bends) and whole boxes of mistempered hooks, either way too soft, or so britlle that dropping a hook would actually let the hook point shatter them) left a really bad taste in the mouth, especially since Mustad'S attitude was you bought'em, they are your no problem now). For salt water I'll tie on both Mustads and Eagle Claws, never had a problem with either. Yes, I've got a long memory!!!

Mark Delaney