Fly Tying

I've built a couple of the Mangrove TFO blanked rods for customers over the past year or so. IMO not it is not a comparison to the BVK at all. It's a more moderate taper than the BVK is. I expected the Mangrove to be faster action, but it's moderate-mod/fast at best to me.

I fished both a bvk and a mangrove in a 7wt and went with the mangrove. Something about it just felt better to me. It may have the slightly slower action. I use mine for bass bugs and the occasional salt (when I can get down to the coast). I have it paired with this line and I don't have any trouble with slinging a bug out in windy conditions: http://www.wyomingflyfishing.com/Scientific-Angler-Mastery-Textured-Series-GPX-Fly-Line-Closeout-Sale-P2961.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwlNy8BRC676-W0JezxbwBEiQA4Ydg0SooMO_rfcQQ6f4QuezyJNtv8SDBvJrHrHHXMr91mi8aAuAV8P8HAQ

As noted the BVK is a much faster blank than the Mangrove ( and both are modest in cost, whether in the finished rod or as a blank).... There is one other important difference to remember as well though... Although many prefer the BVK in their hands... that stick breaks quite a lot compared to the Mangrove in actual use (at least that's what more than one local shop has reported to me - lots of breakage involving BVK rods....). The only BVK any angler has brought out on my skiff (a very nice 10wt...) didn't survive it's first encounter with a small or medium sized tarpon (around fifty pounds..).

If it were me, and I was doing the building, a BVK blank wouldn't be my choice for any rod that was going to be pulling on fish in the backcountry.... Plenty of better blanks out there for hard usage... I've built with Sage, Thomas & Thomas, Fisher, Lamiglass, and Fenwick just to name a few fly blank makers over the years but long ago quit building fly rods for anyone... For high end saltwater blanks my first choice would be Thomas & Thomas - the 10 and 12wts that I built (and then used really hard....) are still in service 20 years later...

The one finished model from TFO that I consistently recommend for hard use are the Ticr-X rods. I have a 9wt that's taken more than one tarpon up to 60lbs - the 10wt has taken tarpon up to 80.... TFO rods have a great warranty and hold up pretty well... The Ticr-X feels odd the first time you handle one since it comes with a much stronger butt section than most rods and it's not particularly delicate at all - but it will work a large fly with 60 to 80 feet of line all day long.....

I have thrown all of these TFO's mentioned and each is VERY different from the other.

The BVK is a Finesse rod, fast and tippy. Very tight loops and great accuracy at distances but FRAGILE. This would be my BoneFish rod.

The TiCr-X Rod is the power rod. Also very fast, The hammer for hauling tarpon and big Snook about.

The Mangrove is somewhere in the middle...a moderate rod for throwing in the ,mid ranges. I like this rod for most all things Fly-Fishing where the BVK might be too sensitive and the TiCr-X rod might be too much of a rod.

Flats don't you have a TFO Signature rod? Not liking it?

I like it, but after I went out with the guide in Cayman and used a Winston BX2 I believe (700$) it casted amazing and so smooth. Just maybe soon it's times to upgrade to a new Rod.

So, if you have figured that a Winston is your dream rod, don't spend money on a TFO Mangrove. Make due with what you have while you save enough for the ONE. And for the nice reel that must compliment it.

I used a Cortland floating wf line. Nothing crazy

However I have a Rio Quickshooter bonefish line on my 9wt which I love, and a río avid salt on my 8wt (tfo rod) which I hate. I might have to replace that line with a quick shooter

Winston BIIX 8wt on ebay. Currently $229 with a couple days left.

But you know going from the TFO to WInston or Thomas & Thomas is like going from a Kia to a Bentley.

But it's nice to dream.

Nothing wrong with most TFO blanks, they just aren't a Winston is all.

That means you wont catch a 20" trout and be guide of the year in a bass-car graphic looking driftboat right Dave? Money spent = fish size right? ;)