Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Alpine Lake - Camping and Fishing

This was a blast of a time hanging with Carter and camping overnight at the small alpine lake by my house. Its so beautiful up there, and its nice being away and out in nature. Building a fire is soothing and relaxing, and its just so enjoyable to go up there.

Not only did we get to camp out overnight, but we got to do some fishing for small rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, and brook trout.
Honestly I was pleasantly surprised at our mountain house breakfast meal. Unfortunately our backpackers pantry meal we had at night was not too great. But that mountain house was awesome! Tasted just like an omelet!

Thanks for sharing your video. Makes me want to get up to the high lakes in the Gunnison area. For those of you that enjoy fly fishing Colorado's high lakes, check out the next issue of Colorado Outdoors magazine (the fishing special issue) as it will include my article on the Fossil Ridge high alpine lakes. Even if you don't fish these particular lakes there is a lot of good info on what has worked for me when fly fishing high mountain lakes across the state.

Yes, thanks for posting that video, although you included a lot of stuff I didn't need to know about, if you know what I mean. If I can add a few words of advice for next time....propane stove & water filter. They weigh only a few ounces, but add so much comfort, convenience, and safety. My pack for overnight trips weighs under 25 pounds and includes both. Some of those dehydrated meals are actually pretty good, although even crappy food tastes good when you eat it next a high mountain lake.

Yes, thanks for posting that video, although you included a lot of stuff I didn't need to know about, if you know what I mean. If I can add a few words of advice for next time....propane stove & water filter. They weigh only a few ounces, but add so much comfort, convenience, and safety. My pack for overnight trips weighs under 25 pounds and includes both. Some of those dehydrated meals are actually pretty good, although even crappy food tastes good when you eat it next a high mountain lake.

Well, I do a full documentary (and honest take) on every trip I do. Sorry if it was too much info, just what happened while I was up there. Really, it was one of the worst nights camping I've had in a long time. lol

Yeah, I had a water filter with me. I just am cheep, and don't use it if I don't have to. I don't want to buy another any time soon! HAHA As for the propane stove, yeah I know its convenient. I just would so rather have a fire. Its more enjoyable for me. Building a fire is part of the joy I get from being out in the wilderness. But your right, for "just incase" situations I should have one. Although, I've never had trouble getting the fire going to the point where I would need one. Yeah I know I said we had trouble, but it wasnt too much "trouble" really, just took a bit longer. We were rushing to gather tinder and twigs... When you rush on something, it never works out. HAHA But finally I took a breath, took a break, then got back to it and it started right back up. So... I never thought about bringing one since I've always been able to get a fire. But your right, there are situations where it might be helpful.

Just bustin' your chops a little. I always use my little butane/alcohol burner for boiling water and cooking, it's quicker, easier, and your pots don't get black. I usually just build a fire because sometimes it's nice to have one, although in many areas I camp they're banned because of fire danger or the damage campers have done when collecting wood because for some reason idiots can't seem to make due with downed branches and feel the need to cut down living trees.

When it comes to filters, they're much cheaper to use than the alternative. I know someone who got giardia on a backcountry trip, and it was an expensive and uncomfortable lesson.

Yeah your right, it is cheeper, however if you boil water, its all good. I will say, If I have trouble getting the water boiled, I will definitely use it, but its never come to that yet.

I know you were just messing, I wasnt offended or bothered. But yes, I will say some people might be grossed out by me explaining my night. But it is what happened.

Yeah, there are some area's around here, but generally not. When I lived in CA, you really couldnt ever build a fire anywhere. They were so strict! But they have a high risk of fire out there, that destroy homes every year. Around here, most people are pretty knowledgable and know how to put out a fire before they leave. As for cutting down trees, yes thats terrible. I mean, I have no problem with it if its done in a responsible manner. Like if you own land that is heavily forested, for you to cut a few tree's down is not going to hurt your land, and actually can help the forest by cutting the ones growing into other's etc... But going into the state land (unless you have a permit to do so) and cutting down tree's is disrespectful (and illegal where I'm at). Also, what are they thinking? For firewood? It doesn't burn as good unless its dry. I used to have a wood burning stove a long time ago, and would pay for a permit to cut a truck full of tree's at a place a few times a year. I would always have to wait a few months for the wood to dry before it was used. Just store it in the shed until then type of thing. I mean, it would burn, but just not as good as the dryer wood. It wouldn't get as hot either. Luckily around me, in southern CO, there are enough tree's that are fallen already. For instance, Beavers are in that lake there, and they cut tree's down all the time. There are usually about 100 downed tree's (some have been there a very long time) within a collectable distance of any camp site I've found. These are easier to collect than tree's you have to fall yourself.