Fly Tying

So until I get out to the trout streams i thought I'd try and catch something different, something i've never caught before.

Bowfin seemed like a interesting fish. I want to know how do you catch them? I know they can be quite aggressive, but if you have any tips on how to catch them, please reply. Thank you.

Of the few I've caught years ago on lures, seems they always went after something

loud and flashy. Not sure what sub-surface fly would fill the bill there. Maybe a lot

of tinsel tail and orange/black?

Funny how these more primitive fish can be so secretive,

and such a challenge to catch on a fly - carp, gar, bowfin....

You catch one on a fly, by all means post up here and expound away.

I've caught them on everything from rubber worms, spinner baits, jerkbaits, rubber frogs, live worms, live and dead shiners and bluegill.

Look up the grinnel fly. Rabbit tail. Maybe some flash. Spun/stacked deer hair head.

Baitfish flies.

Look at tidewaters "creature" flies he has posted. They oughta work

Topwaters too. But stay calm on the first explosion they often miss and if you act like it didn't happen and keep retrieving, he'll smash it.

I've never actually "targeted" Bowfin. I've caught many ... mostly while fishing for bass, sometimes while fishing for Bluegill. One of the largest ones, over 12 pounds, took a 1" Rapala on an ultra-light spinning rod.

I have caught a few while fly fishing, but again, they took a fly meant for bass or sunfish. Whenever I do see one sitting in shallow water, I will cast to it. If you put a fly in front of one, they will hit it. They do have teeth, so be prepared to lose whatever fly you use.

I would recommend slow sinking/suspending flies with weed guards. Bowfin like shallow water with some cover.

Topwaters too. But stay calm on the first explosion they often miss and if you act like it didn't happen and keep retrieving, he'll smash it.

Similar to trout then, make a rise, but won't hit it the first time around, good to know. Thanks for the patterns.

Thanks everyone for the responses, if i catch one i'll upload a pic. If anyone else has any more info on the species please respond, I want all the information i can get.

I've never actually "targeted" Bowfin. I've caught many ... mostly while fishing for bass, sometimes while fishing for Bluegill. One of the largest ones, over 12 pounds, took a 1" Rapala on an ultra-light spinning rod.

I have caught a few while fly fishing, but again, they took a fly meant for bass or sunfish. Whenever I do see one sitting in shallow water, I will cast to it. If you put a fly in front of one, they will hit it. They do have teeth, so be prepared to lose whatever fly you use.

I would recommend slow sinking/suspending flies with weed guards. Bowfin like shallow water with some cover.

Thanks mike, im well aware of their teeth, thanks for info. I'll need to get weed guards, or try a mono weed guard, we'll see. Thanks again

I caught my largest bowfin, weighing in at 19lbs, in Lake Dora on a live bluegill. I have seen lost of them swimming around with bluegill and other small sunfish in their mouths. You might try an EP style baitfish or some wide style to imitate the deep bodies of those bait fish.

Hmmm interesting fisherboy, unfortunately where I live you can't use "gamefish" as bait, and bluegill and sunfish both fall under that regulation. Which i don't understand, but oh well. Thanks for the pattern.

Illegal to use gamefish for bait in Florida also. Now that he put it on the internet, the FFWC will read it and probably scoop him up!

Actually, Elderberry, they can be used.

This is directly off the FFWCC:

"Whole pickerel or panfish (e.g., bluegill, redear sunfish, redbreast sunfish, spotted sunfish, flier, warmouth) or parts thereof may be used as bait for sportfishing by the angler who caught them. Whole pickerel or bream or parts thereof may not be used as bait for trotlines or bush hooks or any method other than by rod and reel or pole and line."

Grinnel look prehistoric that can live in stagnant water/mud gulp for air like gar. They are plum mean! Grind/mangle the fly/lure w/teeth. People use their eggs like caviar. Fight hard and don't have a "handle".

1788.jpg

Hey Denduke..... is that you? Is that your pirogue? Cool looking craft.

Actually old pic when I was young. We built the peros Outa one sheet 1/4" marine pkywood, compound mitered ends, sheet rock nails, latex paint. I used that one for ten years....had to glass the bottom eventually.