Fly Tying
Fry Flier

Homemde eyes

Just for those of you that want to but are not sure how to make your own eyes, here is my method that may help you or give you something to laugh at.

1) Start with a pc. of mono or like mine fluorocarbon 30 # about 3/4 of an inch long

IPB Image

2) Center on pliers and Melt from the Top- Down

IPB Image

3) Rotate Pliers and do again

IPB Image

4) stand back and look at your work.

IPB Image

Hint

When you melt the eyes and you get the fluorocarbon back to the pliers a quick second burn causing just a momentary smoke will amber the eyes from clear.

I can vouch for it too. Especially when you don't want to add weight. I use to tie a mean hex with that technique.

I use this method (somewhat) too. I used a cheapo pair of tweezers and filed 3 grooves in the tips on the inside and 3 corresponding grooves on the outside. I use the tea candles for a flame because I usually sit down and make several hundred at a time. Anothoer tip is usgo to your tackle shop and get all of the line that they stripped off of peoples reels. ( They give it away... )You can get lots of different colors and line thickness' which in turn make different sized eyes. I use 12# Maxima for my mayfly nymph eyes in Tan.

Great photos and description.

I'd always heard about "burnt mono eyes" and wondered what that was about... how it was done.

Thank you much!

... I'd always heard about "burnt mono eyes" and wondered what that was about... how it was done.

Thank you much!

Ditto that, Madkasel!

Thanks for the step-by-step, Fry Flyer. I had NO idea! I'm going to save this tip, for sure.

I've had difficulty (probably due to lack of practice) with burnt mono eyes that drooped off-center, didn't reach the diameter I wanted (relatively large, for crab patterns), and didn't darken much. To solve these problems, I melt them a little, dip them in 5-minute epoxy, and color them with a black Sharpie.

Bill

I just use heavier line for bigger eyes and dip them in finger nail polish for color then a little hard head to protect the polish. Trust me this will work wonders if you give it a try you can make more colors of eyes especially in crab eyes as some real crabs have a red tint to their eyes or in my case crawfish have redish eyes in some places.

I use this method often, then you can just color the eyes with a sharpie, and your done!!! Thanks for sharing this one with us!!!!

Dustin.

I want to use Szczure_x_fly method for tieing some extended body dragonflies. All I need is some porcupine quills.

Randy