Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheRadiant

Dirty Birds

These remind of "less than average" Gartside Sparrows...one of my favorite flies. Less than average ...hence the name, "Dirty Birds". I blew the thread head on the last one. Ticks me off.....

post-47077-0-35495200-1423366687_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-06371000-1423366734_thumb.jpg

post-47077-0-16830300-1423366777_thumb.jpg

Buggy looking flies. I agree with you on the last one, I am sure the fish won't hit it. They'll see that head and flat refuse to bite.

The other two should be good attractors with the movement of that hackle.

Mike... Radiant is new and may not know you the way the rest of us do.

Don't you believe him Radiant! That fly is just fine. Mike's just pulling your tippet.

You ruined it, FlaFly ... I was going to tell him to send it to me for proper disposal. Now he'll keep it and fish with it.

Warmouth, their a type of sunfish right, never caught one myself, very rare in Ontario, only two locations with them. Hope they work for you, I might tie up a similar pattern for bass in my lake.

Warmouth, their a type of sunfish right, never caught one myself, very rare in Ontario, only two locations with them. Hope they work for you, I might tie up a similar pattern for bass in my lake.

Yes. Body shape like a sunfish, big mouth like a bass.

Warmouth and goggle eye are not the same. Goggle eye, red eye bass, and Rock Bass are the same. Rock Bass, I believe, is the correct term. Dad always called them goggle eye in Indiana and down here in Middle TN many call them red eye bass. They are generally caught in rocky areas in streams and many times are caught in fairly heavy current or just off to the side of the heavy current. At least this has been my experience.

Sorry, Radiant. I know we're hijacking your fly thread ... but I have a challenge.

You biologist will probably be able to Identify them. The rest of us, I qualify as "regular angler".

Some are Rock Bass ... some are Warmouth. I think the regular angler would call any of them "Goggle Eye" which, if I am not mistaken, is a colloquial term anyway.

1 2 3

4 5

Warmouth and goggle eye are not the same. Goggle eye, red eye bass, and Rock Bass are the same. Rock Bass, I believe, is the correct term. Dad always called them goggle eye in Indiana and down here in Middle TN many call them red eye bass. They are generally caught in rocky areas in streams and many times are caught in fairly heavy current or just off to the side of the heavy current. At least this has been my experience.

Actually, I believe red eye bass are also a distinct species. Micropterus coosae.