Fly Tying
mikechell

I really DO hate people.

This video shows three people who exemplify a few reasons why I hate people, especially air-boat people (in this case).

I'm not really sure what the problem was. The first boat was respectful and passed at a slow speed. The second guy didn't go as slow as I would have went but I don't know the depth and the area but his wake was minimal. Not sure about the third guy since I never saw him. It does appear as if you are anchored in the middle of a narrow channel which should be avoided. Anchoring in the middle of a channel does not mean every boat going around the anchored boat has to slow to a crawl. Every boat is responsible for its wake but I saw no issue with the size of the wakes.

I'm sorry but I didn't see any behavior that would be considered reportable so I have to assume I missed something. however, I do see and understand why you hate airboats.

same situation as with the jet drive boat operators on the Susquehanna all summer. A rare few know, or CARE, what they are doing, most are inconsiderate and self-centered. Worse yet are those who decide to "slow down", come just off plane dropping their stern deeper and creating a bigger wake than if they would have just been gone. The most aggravating are the ones who have no business being on the water to begin with, refuse to learn how to trim their drive, and run full out while never getting on plane.

Yes, they have every bit as much privilege to be out there with their toys as I do, but a little consideration goes a LONG way. Sadly it happens less often all the time.

To answer you, Poopdeck ...

Boat number one did slow down ... and I waved my appreciation. He then fired up the motor just after passing. One of the reasons I like to go fishing, is to listen to the environment. There is no need for open pipes on air boats, they just do it for the noise. Like H-D riders ... they're like 5 year old brats with a new drum, "Hey, listen to me !!! Lookit my new toy!!!"

Boat number two DIDN'T slow down. I know enough about air boats to know that they don't have rudders. Anything that "knocks" it off course can take several yards to correct for. The channel I am drifting through is a shallow area that borders a no wake zone. Most boats can go through there, but only air boats do it at speed. A slight deviation and he could've run right over me. The prop wash off his boat was just "salt on the wound" as he doesn't even know or consider where it goes.

Boat number three is one of the MAIN reasons I hate air boaters. Just because your boat CAN negotiate shallow water, doesn't mean you HAVE to go through shallow water. It's the same argument with the "river etiquette" thread. He, obviously, saw me fishing that shoreline, since he went around me rather than over me. But, after passing me, instead of staying out in the main channel, he came back up and ran right over the area I was drifting into. Just plain "Me, me, me" attitude.

Air boats are unnecessarily loud. They tear up shallows and weed lines.

The owners run through areas that other people are using, without concern for anyone else.

There are areas like the Everglades where air boats are required. This part of the St. Johns River isn't one of them. I think they should be banned in open water environments.

poopdeck its called being considerate of others. When I am on the river in my boat I slow to an idle speed once I get about 200' from another boat and I go by pushing no wake. I try not to go in front of the other boat unless thats where the channel runs and I usually motion to them asking which side they want me to pass them on. I don't come back up to plane until I am about 100' or more past the other boat. Sorry but the fact that you don't see a problem is part of the problem these days IMO.

Boat #1 did the best as far as I can tell.

Boat #2 well let's just say this is a family show and I'll refrain from saying the first thing that comes to mind.

Boat #3 was a bit of a challenge but he had good reasons for doing what he did. I can't say if the other bank would have been just as good to run down. See deep water vs shallow water below. It did look like he might have been on plane when he went by which is uncool.

Prop wash: Every airboater I've ever known was very well aware of where their prop wash was going. When they are slaloming between others, sometimes there isn't a choice but to hit someone. In my opinion #2 knew exactly what he was doing. I might even be inclined to think it was intentional but only he can know that.

Deep water vs Shallow water: Air boats function better in shallow water and if there is some vegetation they don't slide as readily which helps as well. There is a saying, there are two types of airboaters, those who have sunk a boat and those that will. Not sure about others but I'd rather recover a boat from a few inches of water.

Noise: Mufflers are mandated by law in FL if an airboat doesn't have them they are running illegally. Personally I think some of the "approved" mufflers are a joke but that is another discussion. Unfortunately this is a complex problem. Performance is usually affected negatively by adding a muffler. Arguably (and the arguments are spirited) the prop puts out just as much noise if not more than the motor depending on the setup. The most viable solution seems to use a wide prop with fewer blades in combination with a gear reduction. Both cost money, a direct drive prop by comparison can be 6-10K less than a gearbox/belt drive and big prop. The positive is that there are a bunch of airboaters out there that enjoy working on that sort of thing and there are actually contests to see who can put together the quietest boat.

See, I can get along with most people, it's the dang boats that I hate. What might be acceptable wake if it is behind your boat can be dangerous to a wader or a swimmer.

SD, I, just like you, slow down when approaching anchored or drifting boats. I also recognize that I am SHARING the water with others who may enjoy a different form of water enjoyment. I don't lay claim to any of the water other then what's under my boat and I am very conscious of my wake. I'm not suggesting the 2nd boat exhibited the utmost courtesy, I'm just saying he did nothing illegal and his wake did not create a hazard. I've been boating for close to 40 years so "nowadays" does not apply. I share the water with dozens of fishing boats and hundreds upon hundreds of tubers, kayakers, dragon boats and skulling shells, damn near every day. I get along with everybody and I am respectful of their chosen form of enjoyment and would not expect them to know all the nuances of fishing just like I don't know the nuances of rowing a 20 person dragon boat or a rowing crew. I don't go fishing to get mad about what others are doing. I guess I'm just more easy going but that doesn't make me the problem.

No one said anything at all about laying claim to water nor about the nuances of fishing. This has zero to do with either of those things. It's 100% about safety and that is all. Mike is in a shallow gunnel boat that is not very big. If an airboat goes by him like the second one did, at speed pushing a wake large enough to have white caps on it into the side of his boat and then hit him with the propwash...That is not safe usage of a vessel and that IS in fact something that is illegal and a hazard. If you don't see it that way then so be it, but I certainly do and I would believe most CO's would as well most likely.

Also you boating for 40 years or not, that has nothing to do with what I said, being respectful and safe on the water has no age limit I've seen just as many people in their 60's & 70's be unsafe and or disrespectful as I have seen young people. With that said we obviously don't see eye to eye on this, so be it, we don't have to agree. My view on this is clear and I stand by it.

All I will say.

Poopdeck, I don't "go fishing to get mad about what others are doing." either. And I don't get mad at inconsiderate jerks ... never said I did. But I DO develop a deep hatred for such people.

Hatred is not anger, and doesn't ruin my day. I don't hold grudges, but if I hear on the news that some air boater died when his/her boat capsized ... I would shed no tears.

There are MILES of river and lakes in the area, blasting through that ten foot wide channel was completely uncalled for and unnecessary.

And yes ... it WAS unsafe. His boat was less than 4 feet from mine. Passing another boat at speed, that close, IS unsafe.

As Steve said ... I've said my piece. You said yours. We don't have to agree.

I hate 'em. You can show them all the love you want.

Poopdeck, some people go out of the way to be victims(just watch TV news)..i guess it puts them on some higher moral ground..at least in their minds.

Ben ... you think I am "going out of my way to be a victim"?

the prop wash alone was way more than rude!! it was downright dangerous!!!

if they are close enough to cast at and hit, I would, and mount it.

:)

"the taxidermy man, he gonna have a heart attack"

(jaws)

Mike, just glad you are ok.

guys,

just imagine how we would all feel if something bad happened to mike.

be safe out there.

Ben ... you think I am "going out of my way to be a victim"?

I have to agree with this question. What exactly do you mean Ben?