Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullship

carp crack

This pattern was created by Jean Paul Lipton aka the roughfisher, and I have a gut feeling they will be commercially available someday. They're a little lightweight for me, but they do work quite well. Bluegills also love these flies so much that they will steal them out of a carps mouth.... :wallbash: I can't quite get the dubbing the same buttery consistency that JP blends, but they'll fish anyway. Counting the days to carp season.

DSC05972.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

That thing is hotter than doughnut grease. Very nicely tied there. Just throw some small or x-small brass dumbbells on there, or hell go all the way to Medium if you feel the need. I have really started to upsize in weight and overall size of carp flies this year, nothing smaller than a 6 but mostly 4's.

Steve

Nice looking carp fly. I was out the other day scouting some waters for them, Noticed some nice ones 5 -12lbs but couldn't cast for them b/c the water is closed b/c of pre-season trout stocking.Once the waters open again..I will target these guys, since they fight 100% better than any hatchery stocked trout.

Great-looking ties. Could you post a recipe?

Love the silicon legs material... Exactly what is it and from where?

They're from a bass skirt pack I got at bass pro....not in the fly shop.

recipe is basically orange blended dubbing(I use rabbit strips, antron, and some crystal ep), rubber(silicone) legs, olive hungarian partridge, beadchain eyes, rust wiggle dub and some more of the orange spun in a loop up to the eye. Then I rub it with velcro to get it all sloppy looking.

You can also get the silicone skirt layers at Barlows tackle website and my new favorite site Fishing Skirts.com

Steve

Sweet! Lots of potential with that stuff. I was kinda hoping for hot fly fishing chicks in skirts though....

Sweet! Lots of potential with that stuff. I was kinda hoping for hot fly fishing chicks in skirts though....

LOL :nono:

Steve

You can also get the silicone skirt layers at Barlows tackle website and my new favorite site Fishing Skirts.com

Steve

I love Barlows, but the only time that I was there (about 8 years ago) they had a bunch of skirts that were not in the catalog.