Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The SCUD/Sow Bug swap + pictures

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#31 r2732

r2732

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

Shrimp are in the mail.  Tracking number is:

9500 1155 9402 8232 1132 09

Walt Ryan

#32 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:36 PM

Actually, flies are in my tying room along with Woodenleg's. First two sets already looking like I may need to retie. Mine are going to be among the larger of the sets for sure even thought they're on a 14 hook I think I dubbed them a little heavy. Maybe the ticket in off colored water. Will get pictures of all before I send them out.

#33 J-Kno

J-Kno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:31 PM

Sorted and tagged... Should mail out tomorrow.

20180823_211924.jpg

#34 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

Disregard my earlier question about the Mysis shrimp. I will do Charlie Craven's Plain Old Scud.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#35 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Mysis shrimp are a tailwater staple and I'll have to tie some of those to go with in the White box.

#36 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 02:50 PM

Flies are in the mail.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

The Royal Wulff Murders, by Keith McCafferty

Fishing Bob

#37 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 11:10 AM

Vicrider, my flies are in the mail and you should have them on Thursday. It's been a while since I tied anything and these are #16 so I hope they are acceptable. Hope you enjoy your fishing trip and that you catch a bucket full!

Take care

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#38 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 09:12 PM

Fishin'Bob, your flies are in. Delicate little guys. Is that an 16 hook? I know you say so on tag but that's one of the smallest 16s I've seen. I figured it was an 18. Fly hook sizes are all over the place from different mfg'ers and yours look great but my 18s would be your 16s. I know I tied mine on Tiemco 14s and they could eat you fly for breakfast. Mine are weighted so yours should be a trailer I'd think.

BB, I know your work is going to be top quality. It's like bicycle riding. You never forget...except last time I tried riding a bicycle I fell off.

#39 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 28 August 2018 - 12:07 AM

Daiichi 1190 size 16 I have some 18's too, I I thought I sent one of those too in the extras.

“The thing about fishing is that it gives a man hope.  Each cast builds a little hope and if he can lose himself to that hope, then the worries and the heartache fade into the background.  The wind inside him dies down for a while”

Fishing Bob

#40 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:00 PM

Probably did but still on the tag. Just set those aside. Will try to get a shot of yours and mine side by each and see the difference in hook size.

I should also mention that for your tie I used a brass bead for the orange in the middle to represent egg sac. If any others are from CA I'll do the same. Otherwise mine are weighted with lead wire and then squished flat with olive dubbing on two ends and orange dubbing in center. Everything I read is that scuds egg sacs are orange or as the start to die and make an easy meal the start to turn orange so I tied some in the middle. Couldn't find any words to rhyme with orange though so I didn't do a poem on this batch.

#41 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 12:15 AM

I'm from ca as well, Bob and I actually live pretty close to one another seemed there's a member I can't remember who though who is within 10 miles of me.

#42 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:38 PM

Breambust and J-Kno are in the house. Haven't been to PO today so maybe more on the way. Vicente, I'll make sure yours is a brass bead instead of that dreaded lead that can kill on contact once it crosses the state line into CA. In the future I'll probably order tin instead and have been going to mostly tungsten beads as I re-order. I don't keep track of the weight of my flies like a good fisherman should and if I was a good fisherman who had access to near daily trout streams instead of once a year or so I'd definitely use some color coding to keep better track of the weight of my leaded and beaded ties. Just read recently a good, simple idea to use different color threads to designate weight. I use a lot of different color threads but in MOST flies thread color isn't even seen until you tie off head. Notice Is said most. Obviously not true of thread flies like soft hackles and the tiny ones.

#43 fishingbobnelson

fishingbobnelson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

I'm from ca as well, Bob and I actually live pretty close to one another seemed there's a member I can't remember who though who is within 10 miles of me.

jburge lives about 4 miles from me.  We had lunch together today, he just got back from backpacking the East Carson River.  He had a great Mama Bear and two Cubs story too.

Fishing Bob

#44 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 01:00 AM

nice, I knew jburge was down there, we should meet up sometime, there's another one too.

#45 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,864 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:41 PM

jburge lives about 4 miles from me.  We had lunch together today, he just got back from backpacking the East Carson River.  He had a great Mama Bear and two Cubs story too.

I'm glad he has the story to tell. Mama bear and two Cubs doesn't always come out well.