Fly Tying
efdjr

The new kid on the block

Good Morning Gentlemen,

I am efdjr from the state of Georgia. Like most started fishing with a cane pole as soon as I could walk. My dad was a serious outdoorsman and with 3 brothers we all fished and hunted until we left home, I continued to this day. I picked up my dads fly rod at about 10 and fly fished from time to time through out my life. At 59 I find myself traveling a lot with my wife. We have been visiting a lot of other countries and will be in the future. At 40 I decided I would learn to play golf, so for 1 year I went to the driving range everyday and hit a half of a 5 gallon bucket of balls and studied Ben Hogans book on golf, 1 year later I played a round and shot 2 over par, I think I can figure this out. I have decided to try and fly fish these countries as we visit. I have come to realized that I know nothing about fly fishing,, however I am very serious about learning and have a multitude of questions. This is the first forum I have ever joined so we will see how it works. If anyone reads this I have a question. How do you know you are buying the best of anything from fly tying material to rods, and most importantly (to me anyway) flyline. I would like to find a product line and know that I am working with equipment that WILL work properly. I look forward to the journey.

Welcome to the site. I can't help you with your purchasing questions. Everyone on this site knows I buy the most inexpensive equipment I can. Since I've always been satisfied with combos from BPS, that's what most of my stuff is.

I travel for work, mostly within the States, and my cheap stuff has done well for years.

After only one year on a driving range, he shot a 2 over par. dry.png

I reckon his version of "best" is the hardest rod/line/flies to use, since that will provide the greatest challenge. If he gets the easy stuff, he'll be an expert on his second trip.biggrin.png

Good morning,

Thanks for the welcome and the responses. I guess what I am looking for is some one that would say for instance, I have fished these 4 lines a, b, c, d, in 4 wt weight forward, full floating line and wow I could tell a major difference in line b. I am sure this subject has been discussed many times are there any threads I could read that discussed this? I have found in the past when looking for the best for my personnel preferences, that the middle of the road priced products usually preformed very well. I guess I will research the manufacturing process, in most cases with outdoor products there are a handful of manufacturers that make a certain item and they sell to all of the distributors and retailers. All of your comments and suggestions are welcome and thank you again for your time.

Question:

Am I correct in using the rule of thumb that your leader should be the length of your rod and your tippet some where between 5 and 7 feet? and if it makes a big difference what is the reason or concept that we are following?

Question:

Am I correct in using the rule of thumb that your leader should be the length of your rod and your tippet some where between 5 and 7 feet? and if it makes a big difference what is the reason or concept that we are following?

It's all about turning the fly over. Bigger wind dragging or heavy flies you generally want a shorter and more stout leader than for light flies in an accurate presentation scenario. I'd start with 4-5 ft of tippet personally and adjust from there.. What you are trying to accomplish is to continue the taper of the fly line to the fly. However, that's the rule of thumb approach , Many of us tie our own leaders to our own formulas and it works out fine. Why? Because it has proven itself in actual fishing experiences. Same for tippet length or if to use one for that matter..

Here listen to this guy for a starter; ="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-2yVt37rDUA" f

What kind of fish will you be targeting starting out ?

After only one year on a driving range, he shot a 2 over par. dry.png

I reckon his version of "best" is the hardest rod/line/flies to use, since that will provide the greatest challenge. If he gets the easy stuff, he'll be an expert on his second trip.biggrin.png

I don't know, I've been fly fishing and tying flies for 30 years or so and general fishing for over 60 and still learning things. Course I'm a Polack too so maybe it comes a little slower than for most ! But golf is something I never tried and never will, 0 interest.

I fish for bass and sunfish. I have a 14# test mono leader and a 6# or 10# test tippet. The combined total length is approximately equal to the rod, with about 2 feet of it tippet.

You might need longer tippets for spookier fish, but this works fine here in Florida.

Welcome! Just like anything else, it's only as complicated as you want to make it. The key to learning to fly fish is learning how to block out all the hype.

Get yourself a 5wt of any make and some floating line of any make and go fish. What rod, reel and line others like might feel totally wrong for you. I for one have never put a fly line on a reel and said I don't like this. It all works and it all works well.

Ditto what Poopdeck said, word for word. Even the entry level product lines from most dedicated fly tackle manufacturers is going to be of very good quality and will last for years with proper care. 8'6" 5 wt. rod, 5 wt. floating line, a few leaders, and a few woolly buggers will take you a long way. The absolute #1 factor in improving as a fly fisher is time spent on the water fishing.