Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

how long does it take yall to tie a fly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 elkhair1

elkhair1

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 02:28 PM

i dont tie commercially so time is not a factor, but quality is. whatever time it takes is fine with me.

I haven't tied for well over a year. While having tied for 14 years this past March, it takes me 10 - 15 minutes to tie a dry, such as a gray wulff or one of Bob Quigley's "cripple" flies when I start up again. I am currently tying a dozen Sierra Bright Dot, size 16 (fore and aft fly) and I'm rusty, sometimes frustrated and tend to unwrap a tie down and redo it because I do care what my flies look like. I have been told over & over again, that if you have to pay the rent, by tying commercially - ok, haul ass with your tying, but try to relax with it. So, I calm down from a stressful day, sitting at the vice & cranking out - slowly - the fly pattern I have yet to approach. And oh my Aunt Susie, there are thousands! 

#17 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 12:37 AM

i dont tie commercially so time is not a factor, but quality is. whatever time it takes is fine with me.

this ^^ couldn't have said it better myself :) 

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman