Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

New Clousers

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 eborraga

eborraga

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 10:00 PM

So I tried to take the advice of a few from the previous thread. Here is tonight's effort's. Critique away

Attached Files

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 06:07 AM

the first fly has the colors reversed. colors should be like all of the others

otherwise go out and fish them

The fish care less than we do!

#3 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 07:59 AM

1st one colors are reversed and way over dressed. Also not a fan of maribuo on clousers. Some are a tad long for my liking. The last picture, right side, middle fly looks great. For perfect eyes use the back end of drill bits to dab on perfect circles. Use a smaller diameter for pupils. I would fish them all though without a care or concern on how they looked.

#4 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Great work.  Keep it up.  And yes, those flies will fish.

#5 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:21 PM

Much better.   Still need to shorten the wraps on the bottom(white) hair.  The shorter wraps add to the movement of the fly.  They'll catch fish.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#6 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

When I look at Clouser's video, I was struck by the fact that the shank from dumbbells to bend is almost naked bare, And as Chugbug mentioned the head is only wrapped about half way from the hook eye to the dumbbell-this lets the hair angle up over the dumbbell in what looks more natural profile and also uses less thread and time on the head. This picture from feather-craft.com doesn't show the almost bare shank but does show a nice head-the contrast between the red hair and white thread shows how little head is wrapped. It also seems that Clouser uses a shorter hook, that may be just  how far back he/you ties the white material down, but his appear freer between the dumbbell and the flare. I have caught fish on worse looking flies, so ma sure those will work. g'luck

480x480-84781.Jpg

#7 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:39 AM

I watched Clouser tie a couple weeks ago at an expo. There are a lot of subtle things he does. He leaves his flash about 1/4 to 1/2 inch past the wings. Your flies will fish. I recommend his videos. He has thought out a bunch of little things that are not easily picked up. Every step is thought out.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:34 AM

The fish care less than we do!

#9 feathers5

feathers5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:40 PM

Keep tying and you'll get better and better. But, remember, even the worse tied flies will catch fish. I don't mean they're terrible. Imperfect flies will catch fish, too. Fish 'em and you'll see for yourself.