Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

My First Woolly Buger

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ct.custom

ct.custom

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:46 PM

Hows it going everyone!

I just wanted to stop in a share my first woolly bugger with everyone... I am more of a streamer guy but decided to give woollys a try!

Attached Files

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:49 PM

well done

they will fool a few fish! 

The fish care less than we do!

#3 Dave G.

Dave G.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:05 AM

Awesome, better than my first one was.

John 7:38 ESV  is about "Rivers of Living Water"

#4 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:06 AM

Good job.  That fly will kill.

#5 CasualAngler

CasualAngler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:40 PM

Very nice! :)

#6 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:10 PM

Isnt a wooly bugger a streamer?

#7 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:17 PM

As I just learned, the wooly bugger was designed to imitate a Dobson fly nymph (hellgrammite) so therefore, it is a nymph.  This could be argued much the same as whether a tomato is a vegetable or a fruit.

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:26 PM

The Woolly Bugger, depending the specific material used and how it is fished can be assumed to resemble large nymphs, baitfish, leech, drowning terrestrial insects, clamworms, crayfish, shrimp or crabs.

https://en.wikipedia...i/Woolly_Bugger

The fish care less than we do!

#9 Flicted

Flicted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

So is it a streamer or a vegetable?

#10 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

https://midcurrent.c...woolly-buggers/

@ct.custom, those will work, good go for first try.

I think of woolies as streamers and they ride in my streamer box. But the the originator did intend them as nymphs and tied small as caddis larvae. To me they are crawdads, most of the time, fished at night.

As flytire says, depends on they are tied and how they are fished, but I've never considered them a vegetable.

#11 mikemac1

mikemac1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:16 PM

Great start.  The Woolly Bugger is a great fly to start tying with.  It is a universal subsurface attractor pattern that can assumed to be just about anything a fish might eat—crustacean, baitfish, nymph, leech, etc.  There is almost an infinite amount of variation possible.  Here are my favorites which produce consistently on the rivers of SW Montana.

Pine Squirrel Woolly Bugger—Large profile and lots of movement in the water.  Tail is Finn Raccoon or marabou and body is wire ribbed, zonked Pine Squirrel.  Simulates big stonefly nymphs, sculpins, leeches.

http://www.jsflyfish...gs-and-buggers/

Firehole Demon—Flashy fly for tea-stained waters of early summer.  Finn Raccoon tail, body of Polarflash ribbed with furnace or badger hackle.  Great baitfish pattern where fry is present.

Traditional bugger with dubbed body—far more durable than chenille bodied buggers.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/blog/to-dub-or-not-to-dub-woolly-buggers/ 

Additionally, all my bugger patterns are weighted if necessary with lead free wire instead of cones and beads—designed for sink tips, easier to cast and a great fly rod saving technique.  They are always tied with hotspot heads as well.

Woolly%20Bugger%20Variations_zps0bzdjddk

#12 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

Winner of the "if I could only fish one fly forever" contest. Good work!
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#13 SilverCreek

SilverCreek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

Isnt a wooly bugger a streamer?

If we define a fly as what the fish takes it for, it can be a streamer imitating a baitfish, a swimming nymph (Hexagenia or Damsel nymph), a crustacean ( crawfish), a leech (annelid = worm), etc,

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

http://tinyurl.com/lgkbu7v

#14 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Very nice! WAY better than my first buggers looked. I like your choice of colors, too.

I always teach buggers in my beginning fly tying classes, and I tell the participants that its true name is "The Never Leave Home Without It Fly". :)

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#15 Rjohn7

Rjohn7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:25 PM

better than my first fly was.  good work. 

R.