Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Golden pheasant uses

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kolkacreek

Kolkacreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:46 AM

Hello!

Ive been thinking about raising golden pheasants for fly tying purposes. Is there any other part of the bird that is used other than the cape? Thanks.

#2 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 08:59 AM

Some Asian Pacific Islanders use the body feathers for decorating hula apparel

https://www.alohahul...sant-pelt-13465
cb27

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,380 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

red-golden-pheasant-video.jpg

being creative, a lot of the feather can be used in fly tying

tippet and crest

tails

breast feathers

etc

The fish care less than we do!

#4 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,761 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

If you raise good birds, you'll probably have buyers for the skins/feathers.  The size of your operation will determine if you'll be able to actually profit from the sales.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#5 Jaydub

Jaydub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 11:32 AM

The breast or flank feathers are used on the General Practitioner pattern. As flytire mentioned the crest, tippet and tails are commonly used. The hen could be used for soft hackles.

#6 Kolkacreek

Kolkacreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thank you mikechell, flytire and Jaydub!
Very helpful information.

#7 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 12:43 PM

"Official" pattern recipes aside, there is NO feather on each bird that can't be put to good use.   Most of the cock feathers are used in a lot of traditional Atlantic Salmon flies; crests, tippets, breast feathers, and the tails.  

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#8 chugbug27

chugbug27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:27 PM

Hey, I was serious about the hula apparel use. They're paying $20 for the part of the skin OTHER than the crest and neck feathers. (Fly tyers pay $10 or $15 for it.) Also, if you can master the genetics to improve the crests for classic salmon tyers like Whiting improves chicken hackle feathers for trout tyers, well, then you're in the diamond lane. Next all you have to do is come up with some yummy exotic tasting dishes for the meat, and then bingo bango.

cb27

#9 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

Just stuff em with some potato, onion some seasoning pat of butter and wrap 'em in bacon, if you don't like it add more bacon to the next one.

#10 Rjohn7

Rjohn7

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 05:56 PM

I've bought several and really for more creative ties,  every things useful.  very colorful feathers.  There are other markets as well.

#11 Kolkacreek

Kolkacreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

Hey, I was serious about the hula apparel use. They're paying $20 for the part of the skin OTHER than the crest and neck feathers. (Fly tyers pay $10 or $15 for it.) Also, if you can master the genetics to improve the crests for classic salmon tyers like Whiting improves chicken hackle feathers for trout tyers, well, then you're in the diamond lane. Next all you have to do is come up with some yummy exotic tasting dishes for the meat, and then bingo bango.

#12 Kolkacreek

Kolkacreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Thanks chugbug27!
Helpful information for business ideas.
Thank you also to vincente and Rjohn7.

#13 Charlie P. (NY)

Charlie P. (NY)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:05 AM

The tail fibers can be used for wings or wrapped for nymph bodies.

Carrie Stevens used the green body feathers for a streamer she called the Tomahawk.

(Sorry - all the images I was able to find seemed banned and I don't have an example myself).

Noahguide just posted these Lady Amerst streamers in the March 2019 Flies thread.  You could do a brown variant.

post-61693-0-85866500-1551977714.jpg

Not that Pearsall

Pearsalls_logo.gif

#14 Kolkacreek

Kolkacreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:30 AM

The tail fibers can be used for wings or wrapped for nymph bodies.

Carrie Stevens used the green body feathers for a streamer she called the Tomahawk.

(Sorry - all the images I was able to find seemed banned and I don't have an example myself).

Noahguide just posted these Lady Amerst streamers in the March 2019 Flies thread.  You could do a brown variant.

post-61693-0-85866500-1551977714.jpg

Thanks! I will certainly check out the Tomahawk.