Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

First dubbing brush

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 finsandpins

finsandpins

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:53 AM

I made my first brush today trying to put together a small baitfish pattern. My formula was 2 inches Icelandic sheep hair core, 4 inches craft fur, and 6 inches of sf blend. I think I need to taper the craft fur a bit from the head of the brush the tail. Feedback would be awesome since Im a newbie.

Note - the colors will probably catch fish but I just used some colors that I had plenty of because I knew Id make mistakes!

#2 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:27 AM

Gunnar Brammer Dubbing Brush
YouTube
1. Tie like a pro ep 1 & 2
2. Brammer's Big Fly Fiber Dubbing Brush

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

First, welcome to the site.

Second ... your formula 2" + 4" + 6" = 12 inches of dubbing brush. 

I'm not sure what 12 inches of material looks like, after being wrapped around 1 inch or less of hook shank, but I imagine it's very bulky.

Have you tied a fly with your brush, yet?  Pictures?

Hard to give you any feedback on the small amount of information you've given.  Plus, I'm not sure what feedback your asking for.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 finsandpins

finsandpins

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:09 PM

First, welcome to the site.
Second ... your formula 2" + 4" + 6" = 12 inches of dubbing brush. 
I'm not sure what 12 inches of material looks like, after being wrapped around 1 inch or less of hook shank, but I imagine it's very bulky.
Have you tied a fly with your brush, yet?  Pictures?

Hard to give you any feedback on the small amount of information you've given.  Plus, I'm not sure what feedback your asking for.

Attached Files

#5 finsandpins

finsandpins

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

Sorry thought I had picture attached with original post. The formula had more to do with layering. Start by laying 2 inches of sheep hair to form core then adding some craft fur on top and then finished of with some sf to add some more. It’s not overly bulky, but shape isn’t quite right. Honestly im just horrific at tying but I have too much fun doing it.

#6 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 01:50 PM

Actually, that looks better than my imagination allowed.

Looks like you're doing just fine.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 08:06 AM

I'm assuming your 2, 4, and 6" measurements are the lengths of the actual material and not the linear amount laid down the wire. make your brushes a little sparser and make your wraps closer together. The pictured fly looks tapered to me. Wet it and look at it. I also don't start the brush that far down the hook shank.

#8 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:09 AM

Send that to me for disposal. Keep sending them, until you satisfy your OCD. Seriously, it is fine.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach