Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eide

Silver&Blue

What are the wings on those flies made of(it says hair, but what kind)? I'm going to start sourcing materials for tube flies in that fashion. I want to tie them in smaller sizes(you prob seen my other thread).

Arctic fox has to be the most popular hair at the moment. Have a look at www.foxy-tails.co.uk for an idea of the variations in fur and the reasoning behind using them.

Tube flies tied with bucktail like the Williegunn still take hundreds of fish a year so don't discount bucktail if your tying tubes.

In the UK I'm willing to say arctic is way infront. Polar bear and temple dog are both suffering bad press on the source of them and there seems to be an ethical push on some uk salmon forums as to material sources.

To be honest, if I could only carry one tube fly for Atlantic salmon it would be a williegunn with black body and gold rib. If I was allowed two it would be a plain black body and a gold body Willie. Bucktail all the way lol.

Piker! The two materials were my sence of humour! As far as i know both are forbiden to buy here, but there should be no law i know of to use pre law brought materials on own flies, non comercial & non compatition flies!

Oh we can still but them here in UK. Polar bear does have uses and I like it in the belly of minnows for that see through glow.

The templedog hair is not really necessary. Tying technique is what gives you the high wing rather than particular fur.

Nice looking flies - tube flies are legal for Canadian Rivers if the tube and the conehead is plastic - cannot add any extra weight, and this year, single barbless hooks only in New Brunswick, though doubles are still okay in Quebec