Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Eye Painting Tools

Here is an inexpensive set of tools you can create to paint eyes on flies. These tools are simply a piece of wooden dowel (5/16" diameter) that has been cut into roughly 4" lengths. The ends of the dowels are then sharpened to a range of different diameters using a pencil sharpener and lightly sanded. I use a small 35mm film canister to hold the tools on my tying desk.

To use the tools, I just squirt latex craft paint onto a pad of Post-It notes and dip the end of the dowel into the paint. These make nice eyes on flies.

I made this set out of a single dowel (total cost 50 cents). You could also make a set out of old pencils you may have lying around.

Here is a short-cut link to a wonderful article by Bob Petti showing how to paint eyes on streamers (step-by-step):

http://www.globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/eyes/

Streamertyer (Paul) - I posted this separately in the tying tips section because I did not want to take anything away from your recent posting on the nice set of eye painting tools from Wasatch. I think their tools are really wonderful works of craftsmanship. These are just a poorman's alternate.

post-4573-1162651918_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162651937_thumb.jpg

post-4573-1162651957_thumb.jpg

I kinda do the same thing, I just use different sizes of nails. i drill a hole and glue them to some dowels

I don't know why i never thought to just make them out of the dowel itself, good idea. B

Just go out and purchase a cheap set of allen wrenches. There is a wide range of sizes and they work well. The painted eye goes on round by the way even though the wrenches are not round.

For a buck or two you have instant eye painting tools.

I picked up a 1/2 dozen assorted sized art paint brushes at the dollar store, then cut the ends off at assorted diameters and sanded them smooth. Works pretty good so far. Thanks for this topic, it has been a big help for me....Kerry :)

What's a 35mm film container :dunno:

:j_k: :lol:

Great idea, I just made a similar set to paint eyes on several dozen Thunder Creek flies I tied.

cheers,

Michael

Sign in to follow this