Fly Tying
John Rutherford

Monster Mouse Pattern

Check out this MONSTER mouse pattern made with a balsa head with a marabou body and tail on a 3/0 Saltwater Jig Hook. Not for sale, just for fun! This is the first fly I have ever made that has actually caught something! Feels good!!!

The bass love it. Do you think Browns would go for this? Alaskan Rainbows?

John

Both Browns and Rainbows will hit mice if they find them.

John ... you work for AJ lures? Aiden James is the name that comes up at the end of the video. That looks like a good mouse, but it looks heavy enough to cast on a medium action spinning rod. Looks almost like you're fly fishing with a "Snagproof" lure.

John ... you work for AJ lures? Aiden James is the name that comes up at the end of the video. That looks like a good mouse, but it looks heavy enough to cast on a medium action spinning rod. Looks almost like you're fly fishing with a "Snagproof" lure.

Mike,

I own AJ Lures but love to dust off the old fly rod off from time to time!

The mouse fly actually weighs less than the clouser minnows that we use for striper fishing. I did try to cast it on traditional gear and even with my ultra-light spinning gear it only went about 8 feet. Also, the weight of the fly line gives it a unique action when stripping. I've never used another fly with this dive-dart action, have you?

never tried any "snagproof" products...do you like their stuff?

John

The experience I have is with stream fishing. We would fish mice in grassy meadows at dusk. The fish we did catch were always good size. I have tied hundreds of mice for clients heading to Alaska. They would be fishing for Salmon for the most part, but the resident rainbows would hit mice patterns.

Mike,

I watched the vid again. It looks like that because I am a terrible fly fisherman using a cheap old rod. If you were casting this thing it would be much more graceful looking!

I edited out the part where I hooked my ear and fell off my kayak!!!

Cheers,

John

Mike,

The mouse fly actually weighs less than the clouser minnows that we use for striper fishing. I did try to cast it on traditional gear and even with my ultra-light spinning gear it only went about 8 feet. Also, the weight of the fly line gives it a unique action when stripping. I've never used another fly with this dive-dart action, have you?

John

I guess I assumed the mouse you used was the same as the mouse in the picture at the end of the video. I'd like to see what that fly looks like up close. I have a couple of popper flies with two hooks, Articulated, I think they call them. You can kind of walk the dog with them.

Dahlberg Divers do have a good dive/darting action to them, but I couldn't see the action on your fly quite as well as I'd like, so I don't know if they are the same kind of action.

Again, I do like the video, and I do think your mouse looks good, but I'd like to see it in better detail.

Snagproof lures are great, in my opinion. the hollow plastic body clears the hook points easily for good hook sets. The lures cast well but float wonderfully, as long as you remember to squeeze the water out of them about every third cast or so. They are my go to frog pattern when I am using a bait caster for bass in heavy cover.

Cool video. I'd love to see a close up picture of the fly.

Cool video. I'd love to see a close up picture of the fly.

Yes i would to like to see a picture of this fly. if thats possible. thanks

Mike,

John

I guess I assumed the mouse you used was the same as the mouse in the picture at the end of the video. I'd like to see what that fly looks like up close. I have a couple of popper flies with two hooks, Articulated, I think they call them. You can kind of walk the dog with them.

Dahlberg Divers do have a good dive/darting action to them, but I couldn't see the action on your fly quite as well as I'd like, so I don't know if they are the same kind of action.

Again, I do like the video, and I do think your mouse looks good, but I'd like to see it in better detail.

Snagproof lures are great, in my opinion. the hollow plastic body clears the hook points easily for good hook sets. The lures cast well but float wonderfully, as long as you remember to squeeze the water out of them about every third cast or so. They are my go to frog pattern when I am using a bait caster for bass in heavy cover.

Here are a couple of pictures guys! It looks more like a mouse in the water.

John

post-48222-0-93277200-1364041184_thumb.png

post-48222-0-52783300-1364041231_thumb.jpg

Now I understand what you're fishing. Cool looking fly. You say it's not for sale, but I am thinking you'll get some buyers if you go into production. That's a good looking mouse pattern.

very cool patter. one thing ive always thought about white mice. You don't really find white mice in the wild so wouldn't it be better to make them brown. just my thought i may be wrong. smile.png

Now I understand what you're fishing. Cool looking fly. You say it's not for sale, but I am thinking you'll get some buyers if you go into production. That's a good looking mouse pattern.

Thanks Mike! I'm glad you like it. I thought about selling them initially, but they just take too long to make! I would have to charge a ridiculous price.

John