Fly Tying
FlaFly

Old farm windmill in Missouri

I've been enjoying everybody's photos... thought I'd share a few of mine.

These old windmills are almost gone from the landscape.

post-52210-0-77470600-1403878071_thumb.jpg

post-52210-0-46367200-1403878104_thumb.jpg

Great pictures FlaFly. I agree that the old windmills are vanishing. There used to be one at the end of a local road but it has been gone for almost ten years now. I don't know the actual name of the road because we always called it "windmill road". It would be hard to give directions to the younger folks because you can't tell them to turn left at the big windmill anymore because it's gone. I love old barns also but they are getting torn down too and replaced with things that are new and modern. I like to get out and ride the back roads a lot but it is sad when you see an old farm house, barn and silo gone and a new development taking its place.

I guess the Native Americans were thinking similar thoughts as they watched all that was dear and sacred to them get consumed in the settlers quest for a more modern world. At least there are a few places left that have been preserved so that future generations can get a small idea of how great and beautiful, yet simple, this world used to be.

Thanx Brookie

I like to photograph old barns and watermills too. Seems like Europeans have a better record of preserving and reusing old structures than we do. And they've had several wars and several centuries more in which they could have torn everything down.

i have working relationship with an Amish family in the next town over. there is a windmill on their farm that is used for,,, compressing air to 120psi. the air is used to run every pneumatic tool that you can think of. the most interesting tool they have is a Dewalt miter saw. 120v is no match if you can believe it.

Artimus

That may very well be the same windmill! We were on our way between Chillicothe (where my wife grew up) to Jamesport, where we bought a handmade quilt from a Mennonite shop, and ate wonderful food at Gingerich's eatery.

Small world isn't it?

Its funny, you never see an Amish character in these zombie films yet they are one of the communities ready to survive the end of technology.