Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

TFF:I heart fat chicks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 TFF Staff

TFF Staff

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

My brother and I decided to hit the PM this morning before the deep freeze hits here in Michigan. It was a balmy 16 degrees when we reached the river at 9 am. We considered stopping at our parents until the temps rose a few degrees but once we saw the river, the decision was made to brave the cold and fish. The level and stain was near perfect.
IPB Image

It really wasn't that bad until the breeze started shortly after getting in the water. Not sure what the windchill was but my best guess is "cold".
IPB Image

The cold quickly vanished when my brother was able to land a skipper on the first cast. We weren't sure if it was a sign of things to come or the curse of the first cast.
IPB Image

After picking up a couple trout a piece, I set the hook into something heavy but it would only last a few seconds. Three casts later, while still annoyed with myself for a poor hookset, I was into a good fish. She immediately launched herself into the air and I saw the tell tale white belly of a fresh steelhead. This girl was very hot and she would leave the water 5 more times before giving up. We both laughed in excitement as my brother slide his hand up under her belly revealing her heavy girth. She was easily over 10 lbs and taped at 31".
IPB Image

IPB Image

We didn't care what happened after that. Our day was already made. Over the next two hours we would lose a couple more brief hookups with steelhead and land a few more trout. Every fish that we could confirm came on a nymph. Bear's hex and grizzly hex doing the majority of the damage. Here's one of the better browns for the day.
IPB Image

It was another great day spent on the river with my brother. We only saw one other angler who packed it in shortly after arriving. The fishing was good, the scenery was awesome and the company was even better.

Matt

Reply To This Topic: http://www.talkflyfi...showtopic=16769