Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Crow feathers for fly tying

Haven't seen any patterns for this, but a couple of crows have menaced my garden. I wonder if their feathers would be usable. Mostly the secondaries. Anyone use them.

I was wondering because you see plenty of crows but very few patterns using their feathers. Starlings, yes. I don't think I've ever seen a crow-feather called for.

It's a black feather. I'm guessing that there are many sources for black feathers, so Crow isn't specified.

Yes, but starling (for example) is also a mostly black feather and is specified. Starling and Purple. I think there are relatively few uses for all-black feathers of the size of a crow's, which is pretty big. I haven't examined the covert feathers on a crow to see if there is a practical use for them. Or the breast feathers.

I've got some crow feathers that I picked where one had been some critter's dinner when I was out hunting in the fall. Figure to use the for some small black PT style nymphs in a bit. Wish I had been tying 25 years ago when my friends were into crow hunting. I've got a couple of small bags of chicken feathers from my niece and her husband when they had to invite the two they were raising in their backyard to dinner before they moved from Austin to Porcupine, SD. They make some really nice nymphs. Someone handed me a large parrot feather at the Somerset show after I showed them how to tie an nymph with it. Lots of different feathers out there to be picked up as long as you're careful not to pick up the ones from protected species.

Oliver Edward's baetis nymph originally used crow for the wing case. If they happen too be red ruffed fruit crows there is any number of salmon flies use them.

Cheers,

C.

True flytire, but as long as your state has a hunting season and you abide by the regulations, you can possess said feathers. Here in NJ we have a season on crows, but a valid hunting license is required, along with a hunting season of no bag limit. The season is open now.