Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Crow feathers for fly tying

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

Haven't seen any patterns for this, but a couple of crows have menaced my garden.  I wonder if their feathers would be usable. Mostly the secondaries.  Anyone use them.

#2 rockworm

rockworm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 07:11 AM

I use them for wingcases on my larger nymphs! 

#3 Saltybum

Saltybum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:15 AM

Yes, make them fish eat crow!

Life is too serious to take it too seriously!

#4 RickZieger

RickZieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

I have used the body feather to make leeches.  Tie on and palmer up the hook.

Great panfish fly.

Rick

#5 Meeshka

Meeshka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:44 AM

Tails on nymphs, idaho nymph comes to mind.  Ill use magpie too

#6 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,855 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

You can make a married wing with them. They have some very small hackles too if you tie tiny
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#7 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:41 PM

I was wondering because you see plenty of crows but very few patterns using their feathers.  Starlings, yes.  I don't think I've ever seen a crow-feather called for.

#8 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,879 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

It's a black feather.  I'm guessing that there are many sources for black feathers, so Crow isn't specified.

Barbed hooks rule!

My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.

Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#9 Gene L

Gene L

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yes, but starling (for example) is also a mostly black feather and is specified.  Starling and Purple.  I think there are relatively few uses for all-black feathers of the size of a crow's, which is pretty big.  I haven't examined the covert feathers on a crow to see if there is a practical use for them.  Or the breast feathers.

#10 Philly

Philly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

I've got some crow feathers that I picked where one had been some critter's dinner when I was out hunting in the fall.  Figure to use the for some small black PT style nymphs in a bit.  Wish I had been tying 25 years ago when my friends were into crow hunting.  I've got a couple of small bags of chicken feathers from my niece and her husband when they had to invite the two they were raising  in their backyard to dinner before they moved from Austin to Porcupine, SD.  They make some really nice nymphs.  Someone handed me a large parrot feather at the Somerset show after I showed them how to tie an nymph with it.  Lots of different feathers out there to be picked up as long as you're careful not to pick up the ones from protected species.

"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

#11 Crackaig

Crackaig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:20 AM

Oliver Edward's baetis nymph originally used crow for the wing case. If they happen too be red ruffed fruit crows there is any number of salmon flies use them.

Cheers,

C.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical
minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd
by the clean end"

#12 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:15 AM

check out the list

https://www.fws.gov/...Species1312.pdf

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -George Carlin

"You must tie your fly & fish your fly so the trout can enjoy & appreciate it." ~James Leisenring

#13 FIN-ITE 34

FIN-ITE 34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:31 AM

True flytire, but as long as your state has a hunting season and you abide by the regulations, you can possess said feathers. Here in NJ we have a season on crows, but a valid hunting license is required, along with a hunting season of no bag limit. The season is open now.