Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Chest Boxes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:21 AM

Anybody ever use the Richardson Chest Box or Down's Chest Box? Just curious as to what others think about these as opposed to the traditional vest/fly box option.

-Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#2 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 11:39 PM

biggrin.gif I just bought a Downs Fly Box and love it! It is the standard 3-tray version, but it holds about any trout fly I might think to use in one trip. I don't Think I would want to use more than the 3 trays at one time because it would get in the way of reaching in my vest pockets. Many seem to think that chest boxes remove the need for a vest. You can have them customized by adding pouches and the like but I still need a vest for other variuos stuff like leaders, tippet, split shot etc. I did go to a shorty, scaled down mesh vest though; now that I don't carry all of those little fly boxes in the pockets anymore rolleyes.gif . The Richardson box is much more handsome, but weighs quite a bit more and has sharper edges. I will probably buy some more trays to hold more flys, so that I can just swap them out to meet the demands of the seasons or different species. I mostly chase trout though cool.gif
A lot of guys wore the Richardson boxes up in PA, and I had wanted one myself but couldn't get over the price tag. The Downs box is very nice for the money and seems to be very rugged. Now that I live in TN. , I don't see anyone wearing chest boxes with the exception of a few FISHPOND set-ups. Hope this helps1

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#3 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:26 AM

I have the original downs box with 4 trays. i have used it for close to 20 years. i would buy one again..

sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie

#4 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

Hi guys
Do any of you gentleman have a web site for downs fly boxes?
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)

#5 Bamboo

Bamboo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 02:27 PM

Down Chest Boxes can be seen at...

http://www.chestflybox.net/

For those of you that use the Down's boxes, when you remove a tray, does it then function as a standalone flybox? I'm trying to make it convenient to switch between having my pontoon boat and then wading and have been thinking that this box and a lanyard might be a solution.

Bamboo
"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught, not even how he has caught them, but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

#6 picketpin

picketpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

Bamboo thanks for the web site Cool looking boxes

Mike
Who says money cant buy happiness (see my new fly rod and reel)