Fly Tying
#10WhiteWolf

waders

Nothings wrong with me I just do things the HARD way!! Seriously if you are going to wade deep you should keep a knife or something with you. Waders full of water are very heavy and hard to walk in you might as well forget it and cut them off you so you dont drown.

Wader belts? dunno.gif

Regarding types of wading fishermen: "There are old waders and there are bold waders. But there are no old, bold waders!"

John

Hey guys I was only kiddin around about the waders filling up and stuff. I was a little "tipsy" the other night and figured id post that under timley tips just as a gag comment. But all that stuff about knives with you and being cautious is completely true, and luckily i havent had to use mine YET. Thanks for the response though guys....it just keeps showing me that there is a lot of guys out there who actually do care about other people.

~Josh

This is my second reply on this site and probably a very important one.

I'm a new fly fisherman and fish saltwater quite a bit in a favorite bay of mine in New York. I usually wade because there are a lot of old underwater pylons in the area.

I got caught day dreaming as the tide was coming in. I realized it a bit late, I turned to get closer to shore and stepped in a hole that was behind me. :o

Darn near went in and it scared the heck out of me. Be careful if wading in tidal areas and particularly careful if waves start kicking up.

Hope this saves somebodys life.

dc

Timley "Life saving" Tip

Always, and I mean always wear that wading belt.

I have had times when I have to return to the car to change my shirt and sweater on fridiged days, but my wader belt kept me fishing and many times in the deep rivers it has saved my life.

Conehead

I like my waders to fit a little snug, mostly because I have a big chest and a big gut. Been under water many times, and only once did I ever get water all the way down to my feet. But if your a smaller person or your waders arent a bit tight, definatly wear a belt. In fact just wear a belt, heck their cheap anyways and good insurance. I wouldnt use a knife to cut a hole though. I wouldnt use a knife though. Especially if I was still in the water. I'd cut myself real good I'm sure, and, well we have all seen Jaws.

when you are IN the water with your waders full of water, the weights all balance out and cancel each other.

you are still able to move the same with or without waders full when you are underwater.

but when you get out, the waders have water in them and it is harder to move. you could just roll around on the ground, and allow the water to drain.

I went in a few* times this year, and was only really under long enough to scare me. Never really had a big problem after getting wet.

Joe

* if by a few, you mean more than 5

Never have believed that waders will make you sink, but then again I personally don't want to try. But then again in order to try I would have to buy waders I guess, Now I just wear my 5MM wetsuit when I am at the beach in the winter.

My waders are reasonably snug and the times I got wet were no big deal. What had my heart a racing is the current and looking down stream to a bit of a logjam/pile on a bend and thinking am I going to be trapped. I was thinking afterwards a chainsaw on a retractable cable would be a good attachment for the vest.