Fly Tying

My old fishing net came with a very shallow 8" net, so I decided to try and improve on that. I purchased a Fishpond clear rubber net which had a 12" depth, but that would correct only one of my net issues. The other was the shortness of the handle. I decided to improve on that as well.

post-61757-0-08577300-1581300203_thumb.jpg

The circumference of my net was approximately 39" and this Fishpond net worked just fine.

post-61757-0-11730500-1581300314_thumb.jpg

This is my handle extension 'kit'. I used oak for this because of its toughness.

post-61757-0-96133500-1581300428_thumb.jpg

I added two brass pins to keep the handle from twisting.

post-61757-0-93290600-1581300501_thumb.jpg

The new fish net.

Pros: The depth of the new net makes a huge difference especially when fishing the San Juan River where the trout can get quite large. The longer handle is a definite improvement.

Cons: The rubber net is a lot heavier than the old woven fabric material. I had to purchase a larger magnet to keep the net secured.

Stringing the new net took quite a bit of time, but that is probably to be expected. I wrapped the rubber net loops with 550 para cord to prevent the thin braid from cutting it.

Overall, I think the work was well worth the effort.

Thanks!

Looks good. And well worth the effort just to rid yourself of the factory mesh bag. I changed mine to a rubber bag 2 yrs ago as well just because I got so sick of the hook getting caught in the mesh. It's so much better not having to deal with that.

Looks functional. Nice work with the alignment pins.

That handle will be good for reaching out a bit more, but if I wouldn't trust it to lift weight from the water. The screw, by itself would bend. Maybe with the pins, it'll support more weight.

Looks functional. Nice work with the alignment pins.

That handle will be good for reaching out a bit more, but if I wouldn't trust it to lift weight from the water. The screw, by itself would bend. Maybe with the pins, it'll support more weight.

A beefier option would be to bore a hole thru the entire length of the handle.

Then attach both parts with a 3/8” threaded rod.

Also a counterbore at the inside net surface, and at the oak extension would provide a way to conceal the lock washer and nut.

Wood putty and a finish coat would complete the job.

Looks good. And well worth the effort just to rid yourself of the factory mesh bag. I changed mine to a rubber bag 2 yrs ago as well just because I got so sick of the hook getting caught in the mesh. It's so much better not having to deal with that.

I hear you loud and clear on the hook snagging issue, even after the fish has been released. One thing I wish for is that the rubber would have been black and not translucent. The fish I caught seemed to be frightened of this net that I never noticed when using the old black mesh net.

Thanks.

I don't think it's the color of the plastic, it's the surface area. Water flows through the mesh nets with little to no resistance. The larger webbing of the plastic net creates more "back pressure" to current flow or movement. The fish are necessarily scared of it, they're just trying to avoid the large structure getting nearer. They can FEEL it.

Just conjecture ... my brain tends to do that.

I don't think it's the color of the plastic, it's the surface area. Water flows through the mesh nets with little to no resistance. The larger webbing of the plastic net creates more "back pressure" to current flow or movement. The fish are necessarily scared of it, they're just trying to avoid the large structure getting nearer. They can FEEL it.

Just conjecture ... my brain tends to do that.

Good point. That could be it. Thanks.