Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
luckydoggy

line advice for Atlantic salmon fishing with 9" 8 wt rod

I apologize if this is something already discussed here. A rod rolled on to my line late last season and snapped my float line. Looking at getting a new one and I was wondering if there are thoughts on the best line available. I am looking at the rio gold intouch line.thoughts?

I thought fancy line would be the ticket one my my St Croix 7/8- 9'6" salmon/steelhead rod. But it throws Cortand 444 WF in 8 wt (peach line) like a canon, so what for ? I use the same line on my T&T 8 wt and it seems fine to me. Mid road line, not as expensive as some. I had the SL line on my 3/4 in 3 wt and it threw it nice. But wanted to load the rod more so bought the 444 (peach) and it's just ok, I think that rod liked the stiffer coating on the SL.. I'm thinking on that rod maybe I should have stuck with SL but move up to 4 wt.

Sorry, but I have no experience with Rio line. I know that a lot of people like it but when I hit on something that is working i tend not to move too far off.

A rod rolled on to my line late last season and snapped my float line.

I don't know what this means ... except the part about needing a new line.

I am a cheapie. I buy $9.00 line on E-bay ... and am quite pleased with it. Even if you needed to replace it every season, you could buy 9 new lines for the same price as one of those big name one.

On the other hand, some of my lines are now 4 or 5 years old and still functioning like they should.

If I was buying line for a single hand rod I would be looking at a line in plain WF for floating a small fly or hitching or dry work. A cheap WF is fine.

Then I would be looking at a line like scandi versitip to have some different heads for sunk work. Over here in UK there are great deals on airflo rage head's and these cast light MOW and all the polys very very easily. For an #8 you want around 300+ grain head.

Thanks guys. My original post should have said, a rock rolled on to my line and snapped it. I lost the majority of the line. Still not sure about which line I would like to get though.

It really depends on where you fish and are you fishing in low water high water cold water etc. If you fish all season you want options like the multi tip. If you fish a set week or two you can probably buy one line and get through.

You won't need anything other than a floater for that depth. If its considered low water then shrink those flies down in size or try a sunray shadow square and pulled fast.