Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JeremyH

Black Midge size 14

here is a shot of a chironomid that I caught in my fly box, they hatch throught the year at one of my favorite fishing hole here in WA. They are huge midges, and the cutties I fish for love them and will spend all day feeding on thier hatches, gave me two nice 16" hook ups yesterday. I have collected thier shucks also which are a light olive so I assume thats more the color they are when Larva.

post-31-1111332551.jpg

QUOTE (JeremyH @ Mar 20 2005, 10:29 AM)
here is a shot of a chironomid that I caught in my fly box, they hatch throught the year at one of my favorite fishing hole here in WA. They are huge midges, and the cutties I fish for love them and will spend all day feeding on thier hatches, gave me two nice 16" hook ups yesterday. I have collected thier shucks also which are a light olive so I assume thats more the color they are when Larva.

Jeremy-

Nice photo. It's a male, as they are the ones with plumose antennae. However, there are so many species of Chironomidae (perhaps 2,000 in N. America, and 20,000 worldwide), that only the handful of professional entomologists who specialize in them are able to identify them to species.

Not trying to get you to divulge any fishing spots here, but could you at least tell me whether you captured the specimen on the wet (or dry) side of the Cascades?

QUOTE (JeremyH @ Mar 21 2005, 10:03 AM)
Wet side within 30 miles of Arlignton.

Okay, suspect I know where you're talking about. Won't say any more.

This is what I came up with to duplicate it. I have tied them with out the fluff also to boncnce and sink them like females. If you are in the area taxon, would love to show you where I found them, I have only found them in this one spot(atleast this big) smile.gif

Oh yeah I love the site it's been a great classroom for entomology.

post-31-1111516040.jpg

QUOTE (JeremyH @ Mar 22 2005, 01:27 PM)
This is what I came up with to duplicate it. I have tied them with out the fluff also to boncnce and sink them like females. If you are in the area taxon, would love to show you where I found them, I have only found them in this one spot(atleast this big) smile.gif

Oh yeah I love the site it's been a great classroom for entomology.

Jeremy-

Nice imitation. Do you fish it as an emerger? Most people who fish chironomids use a pupal imitations fished subsurface. However a friend of mine does quite well with an adult imitation that he ties for Dry Falls, which also has chironomids that size.

Don't get up your way very often, but thanks for the invite. We'll see. Also, thanks for the kind words about the site.