Fly Tying
Ed Gallop

Carpet Beetles... Enemy to Tiers.

I thought I was rid of Carpet Beetles. I forgot to treat and add more moth balls and noticed I lost some flies and feathers as a result. But I caught it before it became a disaster. My wife has a big negative reaction to moth balls and also cedar (have to use artificial Christmas tree) so I am limited to my tying room and the garage. Does anyone know an alternative to moth balls and cedar?

I have a friend that puts his natural materials in the freezer for a few days once a year.

I lost about 2 dozen flies and more feathers (suspect moths). They hit my feathers on a non-tying winter when I lived in Alaska in the 70s and it was a disaster. Ever since then I have been very focused on prevention. I let treatment slip by too long this time. I've tied over 50 years with only one moth/beetle attack. You can't be too safe. Has others had similar experiences?

I have a friend that puts his natural materials in the freezer for a few days once a year.

I have way too much stuff to do that. Also, the carpet beetles can lay more eggs after you remove the material from the freezer. The freezer may kill larva but I don't believe it will kill eggs. You would have to keep the material frozen about 5 to 6 weeks to kill the larva. I have a bedroom full of material and hundreds of flies so am limited to treatment with chemicals. Moth balls can be hazardous to humans if overdone. My tying room usually has a small moth ball odor so I must keep the door closed. There must be an alternative to this.

Have you tried microwaving them? Run small quanities through for 15 seconds, then check they are not hot which would indicate moisture. If cool. Hit them again for 15 seconds or so. No need to remove them from their bag.

I've heard, (even on this site, I think) of people using dog flea collars.

If you have dogs, you can try Permethrin products. Permethrin will kill many bugs on contact ... but I don't know about carpet beetles and their larvae.

If you have cats, DO NOT USE Permethrin. It's a terrible way for cats to die, as it affects their nervous systems, causing spasms and seizures before killing them.

I use FOOD grade Diatomascous earth in the base of my drawers and jars that hold long feathers like peacock and tukey. So far no bug issues even though my kit was in an outside room and bugs had access.

Have you considered calling a pest control company? Maybe they could give you an answer to this specific pest...maybe. But they will probably want to come out and give you a full treatment. It might be worth a call anyway.

I was hit by the bugs about 30 years ago and will admit at that time most of my material was poorly stored (cardboard boxes) and mixed (wild collected and commercial packed). I segregate now in tight sealing plastic totes with mothballs, I find them less offensive smelling than the crystals. Any wild collected items are washed, dried (dawn)and processed (borax, etc.) then stored, all my precious materials are stored in vacuum bags between cardboard backing cut to size, (ziplock sealable space bags) then placed in totes with mothballs in a closet. My wife has respiratory problems also, we find the mothballs in the totes to be the least problematic solution but will follow this thread for other idea's. I leave small quantities of material in ziplock bags in my tying bench drawers so if I am ever hit again it won't be a heavy loss.

I use the Diatomaceous Earth with a little boric acid on my carpet for years. Very light dusting brushed with a broom, wait 24 yours and do light vacuum. I mainly do it because of elm beetles.

I have been using Ultra Care Mite & lice bird cage spray for years on my necks and furs...even loose feathers when possible. It has a couple of Pyritherins. Spray them Seal them in zip-lock bag for a week, allow to air dray a couple days, then repeat once. When they are just dry seal them in baggies. I toss a piece of moth ball in batches of these baggies and seal in another large zip-lock. You normaly can't smell it unless i freshly added some.

Borax powder also works. I often tread pelts with it, and have not had a problem. I have used the cut up dog flea collar as well. That works well in a plastic container full of materials. Keeping materials in closed plastic containers, when not in use, seems to be my best preventive. I've lost a few flies I've left laying out, and anything that's left on the floor gets demolished, but the stuff I keep out up is fine. I do have multiple plastic bins, though, and most have an inch of a flea collar in them. (Remember to change out the flea collar every couple of years.)

John McLain of Feathers MC told me to use No Pest Strips. Cut them into pieces and put a piece into the storage container. This guy sells Indian crow, Chatterer, Bustard, and other rare and expensive feathers. Works for me.

You guys have been very helpful. I've ordered diatomaceous earth from Amazon and have some boric acid (used to tan hides). I'll mix them and put it in drawers and other areas. I discovered the damage before it was out of control and hope there are no more eggs. I was told freezing and microwave will not kill eggs but will kill larva. I'll keep close eyes on materials for a month or more. I have over 3 dozen cardboard cabinets with 3 (12"x12") drawers in each, all full of fur and feathers (most in sealed plastic bags). I've heard plastic bags are safe but I had some old worn out flies in a Ziplock that was eaten through (moths?) and the hackle was eaten. Mike... I have Permethrin that I use on cattle but wouldn't recommend it inside the house. Thanks to everyone. Be nice to eliminate the moth ball smell.

This subject comes up from time to time; I don't know anything about the beetles, but I did lose my materials to moths years ago. Protecting your stuff with plastic bags and keeping the scraps cleaned up (along with repellents) is the best way to avoid a disaster. Adult moths can't eat though the plastic, (the larvae can and will) and will only lay their eggs in a food source for the larvae. Freezing will not get rid of an infestation, as anyone who's lived in Maine can tell you. It'll kill the adults, but they're not the problem. The larvae are what do the damage, and if you have eggs, you're gonna get larvae.