Fly Tying
Mike West

I have a jig hook ?

I've never tied on these before and I promised a buddy in CO. I'd tied him up some carp flies.

Can I put some chain bead eyes here and the hook point ride up still? I know if I put them under the hook shank everything will be fine but I want to put them here on top in this bend.

T.I.A

IMG_9004_zpsoc2bxssn.jpg

Me and my pea brain say no. Which ever side you put the weight on is the side it will roll over on. You also have the weight of the hook from the bend to the point that causes the hook to roll point down. Adding more weight to that side is just adding to the point down.

i dont know if bead chain eye are heavy enough to turn a fly over but lead eyes would

Step1_slumdog.jpg

put them in the area you show in your photo

I agree with PD,but if you did it anyway you could wind up with a signature fly style with a cool action!

Jig hooks are designed to ride hook point up. You could add the bead chain eyes there depending on their weight they shouldn't impact how the hook rides. Tying them on the bottom of the shank could increase the risk of the fly snagging on the bottom but the hook point would ride up at an angle. I would use bead heads if you were just wanting to add weight to the fly to get it down.

A fishing buddy had some jig-heads, white, I believe, and tied some white marabou and caught several fish with that heavy fly. I didn't see the thing, but am going from his description.

Jig hooks are designed to ride hook point up. You could add the bead chain eyes there depending on their weight they shouldn't impact how the hook rides.

Jig hooks ride point up when jigs are molded onto them.... or enough weight is below the center of gravity to offset the mass of the bend and point.

You've got to add weight below the axis of the shank for them to ride point-up. ?

Guest rich mc

perhaps one of the newer slotted tungston beads may work . they were made for small jig hooks rich

Here's a pic or two of Whitewater clousers done up on jig hooks....

Whitewateronjighook1_zpsae6a9844.jpg

Note that the pattern is being done here with two different types of eyes - and they'll behave a bit differently with beadchain than they will with lead eyes....

Here's the original pattern done up on a conventional Mustad 34007 2/0 hook for comparison purposes...

WhitewaterClouser.jpg

Using jig hooks can be very useful for different fly patterns - I've always simply tied on the "straight" portion of the jig hook... hope this gives you some ideas...

I believe tying the eyes "inside" the bend where you want to will center the weight too much.

It might sink point up, but it will spin when you pull it through the water. I emphasize "might sink point up" because I am not sure it will even do that.

By design of the jig hook, keeping a tight line on a sinking jig hook will always help it to maintain a point up attitude.

But very often, when I am fishing a sinking fly, I want it to fall straight down on a completely slack line. In that situation, I believe your design will tumble or completely invert and land point down.

Thx guys

I'm going to play around with it a few ways

I'll report back with my results

Much appreciated

that tumble action might be a trigger on some occasions when nothing else works.

True, but it can also twist your tippet/leader into a furled mess.