Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tropical Fish 'Eyes'

I'm reminded of a problem one member mentioned recently: how to keep flats flies from 'plopping'

Some flats flies just aren't capable of supporting anything but the tiniest hourglass eyes. Nor are they correctly weighted with some styles of bead chain. Though flats flies want to be tied sparsely, many times we go for glitz, more than glamour. Thus, we use heavier than called for eyes and lots more body material than ever mentioned in a pattern.

Try to keep all your proportions relatively equal. If you're tieing on a #8 hook, try 5/32" hourglass or small beadchain eyes on your bed of chenille or bucktail, with a couple chenille overwraps or bucktail tie-over to soften the splat. Fish don't always have to see the shrinking waist of the hourglass, just the glimmer off the convex ends. Also, some patterns require eyes be positioned farther back on the shank; this lessens the entry shock somewhat. Also, even though you're tieing sparsely, help your wings and feelers do their airborne job of quieting the landing with an appropriately built 'cast', or "leader", that will turn a fly over and lay it down softly, as opposed to making the fly carry itself to the water and land like some Albatross.

I will make sure to tie in the correct weight/size of eyes on my next fly. It's called the Son-of-a-Mitch, and here's the recipe:

Use green thread and tie on a $20 bill. The amount of dollar material is directly proportional to the hook size.

This fly is to be used when nothing else in your box works. You must use this fly before you say "I couldn't buy a bite today."

wink.gif ,

Mitch

Sign in to follow this