Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tip for August 7, 2003

wink.gif Dental Floss......it has many practical uses on the bench. It uses are much too numerous to list here, but there is one practical application I want to share with you today. Use dental floss when spinning deer hair flies insted of 3/0 or "A" threads.

I live about an hour's drive from the nearest fly shop. I consider myself lucky. I know anglers who receive all thier supplies via post because of thier extreme rural locations. If I run out of 3/0 or "A" thread, i just hop in the truck and go. Until I learned this little trick with dental floss. It has excellent tension control, and flares the hair beautifully. It is shred resistent , is difficult to break, and even if frayed a little, still retains enouygh strength to finish the tie. I have been told that using the waxed variety actually helps to pack tighter bodies on diving bugs and tighter heads on muddlers. Apparently, the waxed threads bind against themselves for a secure, snug pack. There is no secret trick to using dental floss. It requires no pre-prep before use. Simply use it just like you would your regular threads, and PRESTO-CHANGO!!!! ..... you save yourself time, money, and aggravation.

Mr. Hubbard you certainly are full of it.....good ideas that is. Awesome tip! headbang.gif Maybe gonna try that out this weekend to see how it works.

have use floss on many diver patterns, especially larger sizes. Can be a little cumbersome with smaller patterns, but with a little practice, it becomes fairly easy to manage.

Oh by the way,

You can finish off the fly by whipping the head just like you would using tying thread. Floss heads tend to build quickly, though, and for those who may not prefer a thick head, try a two bobbin approach.....Secrue the floss at the head with a few wrps of your choice of thread, semi whip to secur, then re-pack fron the head, using only your thumb and fingernails. Finish the whip and cement.

Sign in to follow this