Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Tip of the Day for August 10, 2003

When we think of flying our favorite stream, we think of what we will need for the trip. Leaders, tippets, flies, waders, vests, nets, etc. We take so much care to ensure we have what we need to catch fish, that sometimes the big picture gets overshadowed.

No matter how much gear you have, no matter for far you can cast, no matter if the fish are rising, you can't catch fish if you are injured.

As we get older, body systems just don't perform like thye used to. It 's important that every angler know his/her limitations. Be realistic about the terrain and currents you are fishing. Be alert and aware of your environment. Warm up before you start the hike in, or out. Stretch periodically during the trip, and drink plenty of fluids, preferably water.

I have learned that if I had put a little more time into preparing myself, not just my gear, before a trip, I could have avoided one knee srugery, and possibly an ankle surgery.

Remember, safety first. Be careful, and be smart. A little planning and preparation can save you a lot of pain later. And remember, the older you get, the longer it takes to heal!!!!!

Sign in to follow this