Fly Tying

So, I'm moving from a 3br home to a 2 bedroom, which means I have to give up my fly tying room... I plan on putting my stuff in my wife and i's room on a small desk or something. Any recommendations on how to set this up? Right now I use peg board to keep organized... do you guys know of any desks that have good sized space to keep stuff? Yet be small enough to keep in a small bedroom along with a bed and dressers?

I have most of my stuff in a roll top desk and a few plastic tubs. My roll top is one that has lots of drawers though. I think it's 50" wide and about that tall. I do need more room. Like another set of drawers but the problem is that I don't really have space for another set of drawers.

It's nearly the perfect setup for me. It might not be the perfect setup for you though.

Stand your ground. Make HER downsize*.

(*I cannot be held liable for any repercussions that may occur. My advice is simply the worst ever, and usually results in lengthy periods of forced abstinence. Your results probably won't vary.)

So, I'm moving from a 3br home to a 2 bedroom, which means I have to give up my fly tying room... I plan on putting my stuff in my wife and i's room on a small desk or something. Any recommendations on how to set this up? Right now I use peg board to keep organized... do you guys know of any desks that have good sized space to keep stuff? Yet be small enough to keep in a small bedroom along with a bed and dressers?

I visualize a narrow table or counter top and set of hung drawers or cabinets on the wall. You can size it all to custom fit where you need it and keep the work station profile close to the wall..

A lot of guys build a work station in the basement, mine is filled with wood working tools/machines. Maybe yours isn't.

I have most of my stuff in a roll top desk and a few plastic tubs. My roll top is one that has lots of drawers though. I think it's 50" wide and about that tall. I do need more room. Like another set of drawers but the problem is that I don't really have space for another set of drawers.

It's nearly the perfect setup for me. It might not be the perfect setup for you though.

That could work vur I'd definitely need more storage:..

Stand your ground. Make HER downsize*.

(*I cannot be held liable for any repercussions that may occur. My advice is simply the worst ever, and usually results in lengthy periods of forced abstinence. Your results probably won't vary.)

We have a 3 year old and another on the way... the extra room will be theirs, it's not hers. Lol

I visualize a narrow table or counter top and set of hung drawers or cabinets on the wall. You can size it all to custom fit where you need it and keep the work station profile close to the wall..

A lot of guys build a work station in the basement, mine is filled with wood working tools/machines. Maybe yours isn't.

I wish I had a basement.. they are an east coast thing, it's rare to find them in my area honestly. Plus I'll be moving to an apartment, so that definitely won't have one. Haha

The hanging cabinets might work... maybe with the roll top desk... hmmm.

I am sure the reason are good ... but downsizing at the same time you're increasing the size of your family ???

I've no ideas on how to downsize, except to give up stuff. Give up a "tying station". Find a place to store your stuff, put together a portable tying kit that you can set up on the dining room table ... use it when you can.

Hopefully you can utilize the space under your bed and thus out of sight to store some of your fly tying materials in plastic roller tubs or the like. Unless your Mrs. is an exceptionally rare jewel she is not likely to take too kindly to having too much of "HER" bedroom turned into a fly tying room. So the less visible space you occupy for tying the better, especially if in a typical sized apartment bedroom.

Congratulations on the new family member! A travel box with a adjustable height pc table( just larger than a folding tv dinner tray table) I use it in the RV and truck camping when tying on road trips. I have seen them on ebay but I made my box. Other materials are stored in ziplock bags in storage tubs. Hope this helps, start the kids tying young and your wife will have to find the room.

post-19662-0-46686800-1488805232_thumb.jpg

post-19662-0-86744800-1488805261_thumb.jpg

post-19662-0-43450700-1488805192_thumb.jpg

Do what I did. Get rid of the wife. Problem solved. Just kidding of course. smile.png

First, congrats on new addition to family.

Seems like you may need to go portable, drawback is not being able to leave stuff out, while pondering.

If you can dedicate a single spot, you probably want to go vertical.

If you can land a corner spot, you may want to look for an old school, secretarial desk, with a "return" made to hold typewriter. See them very cheap in second hand market. You can build your own hutch, for shelves and cubbys, with hammer, nails, plywood, circular saw. And good tape measure!!!

My own tying is done in the mechanical/utilities closet of the basement. It is not pretty. It works great and biggest problem is when the dog wants to play with a bird skin that finds it's way within reach.

Check out the portable tying stations on www.creeknuts.com. I have a chest to put flies in from him. Real nice guy and does good work. Anyway, it will give you some ideas. Good luck!

That's almost exactly what I do as well. Many years ago I use to have my tying bench set up with 4x8 sheet of pegboard and all my tying stuff hung on it. That was about 20yrs ago. Then about 14 yrs ago when I started my rod building business my rod stuff slowly started taking over more and more of the basement shop till it became what it is now. So what I did was pretty much what Idaho RC said. I bought a roll top desk off Craigslist for $40 which works good because it has 6 drawers and the roll top, then all my extra stuff goes in a large plastic tote.

One thing I did with the stuff in the tote was to put things in labeled 1 gal zip loc bags inside the tote, that makes it real easy to find things. So all my hackle is in a bag labeled hackle, all my marabou is labeled in a zip loc etc etc.

I've always liked a portable setup anyway, I can tie most anywhere . Most recently with teaching my grandson I'm using a small round 3 legged table, I think the top is about 14-18" around. It's great , I just move it where ever and he and I can tie across from one another, since he also is left handed and I'm right. I have a large compartmentalized tackle box I use for most of my main materials and tools that tend to travel with me, then some containers and various bags or boxes of "stuff". I don't think I've ever had an official tying station or so called "permanently" set up one that lasted for more than 6 months .