Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Troutbum11

Muddler Minnow Tying Video

Thought I would tie the classic muddler this week. Check out how I use a lighter to shape the deer hair head. Works great!! Enjoy and thanks for watching!

Cool !

Do you use matched turkey pairs for the wing and tail ?

I tie a variation of the Muddler with yellow under wing, works great in hopper season in Maine. It can be done with dyed squirrel tail but I use calves tail. During the main season up there I use red squirrel or so call "fox squirrel" natural fibers for the underwing. Back here on the cape gray squirrel works, like you have for the under wing.

Thanks Dave!

I know your suppose to use matched pairs for the wing. I used to but, I always struggled with matched wings. Started just using a single wing and the fish don't seem to mind, haha. I should probably try matched wings again (been a few years) in an effort to tie the pattern properly. But like I said, they fish well and when it comes down to it thats what really matters if you ask me!

Your color variations sound pretty interesting!

Troutbum, I guess I'm of the school of respecting the pioneers who originate a design that stays in style long past it's conception. Though there are many variations of the Muddler today, some that have lost any lineage to the original, your video was of your version of the original. Now I believe it would catch just as many fish and float and drift just as well with the single tail and wing, that is not the original style. I just think you should mention that in your video that you are deviating from Gapen's original with that step. Otherwise a great video and can help a lot of people tying a very fishable Muddler. I also use a lighter a lot on the heads of my ties but mostly for cleaning fuzz from the eye. I'm afraid if I tried you step I'd end up needing a fire extinguisher.

Thanks for the input, Vicrider. I'll be sure to put that correction in the description box of the video. You are correct, no doubt. I guess I'm so used to tying them with a single wing that I didn't think of mentioning it until the video was uploaded and Dave pointed it out. I appreciated it though!