Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Euro Nymphing Rods

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 miketipp

miketipp

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

Has anyone compared the Vision Nymphmanic to the Cortland Nymph or any similar rods on a river. I am looking to get a new one and I am between these 2 but there might be something better for around the same price. Any suggestions? No point mentioning anything over €400

#2 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,191 posts

Posted 25 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

Other than the fact that both of them are expensive, I can't give opinions on them. 

For much less than either of those, you could have Steeldrifter 

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/

make you a custom one, with your favorite colors of threads, grips and eyes.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 Dominecker

Dominecker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

If you're looking for a good rod at a low price point, I bought a Wetfly Element SE 10' 3 weight a while back. It's light, sensitive, but still has good backbone. With a 5wt reel, it balances right at the front of the cork. I have used it for nearly a year, have caught hundreds of trout on it with absolutely no complaints. They are on sale right now for $99.99. I'm thinking about buying another one.

#4 Pyme Fisher

Pyme Fisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 October 2019 - 08:01 PM

For much less than either of those, you could have Steeldrifter 

http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/

make you a custom one, with your favorite colors of threads, grips and eyes.

Yep.

Even though I already have two dedicated commercially built euro/tight line nymphing rods, I'm eagerly awaiting the completion of a pair of rods that Steve is currently working on for me.

Less expensive, and though not done yet, if they end up looking anything like a bunch of his other rods, they will easily be better looking as well.