Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Oren-o-Matic fly reel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bullhead

bullhead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 01:46 PM

Geetings all, On a whim, I picked up two of these for three bucks each at a local pawn shop. Number 1140 model C. Can anyone tell me how they function? In particular the side knurled knob on one side of the reel?

Bullhead

#2 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,673 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 03:00 PM

the google machine found this video

https://www.youtube....h?v=qjccCks5SXg

go to the following website and click on the links with the arrows

https://www.reelsche...tics/#gsc.tab=0

south-bend.jpg

the links are schematics of automatic fly reels. it will give you the name of the knurled part

Respect someones else's ideas. We are all different people. Your way is not the only way.

Never argue with a self proclaimed expert

#3 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 04:37 PM

I love my automatic reels.  I use them on several of my rods.

The knob on the side winds up or releases the spring tension.  Pulling line out winds up the spring, and it's unwinding is what pulls the line back onto the reel.  If you're putting new line on, twisting the knob winds up the spring to pull line on.  Once the line is on, it is used to release tension (if you get too much line out) or to put tension on, if you need more.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 bullhead

bullhead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 05:11 PM

Thanks to both of you! As I wade for in the reeds for panfish it is nice to have a quick retrieve of slack line to keep from tangling around debris. Now to take apart to clean and lubricate.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

I LOVE SNOW ITS SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,182 posts

Posted 23 December 2019 - 08:59 PM

Use a light grease or oil for the spring.  It will be ... sticky ... if you use too heavy grease.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

Be careful in removing the spring, it can and will come flying out of the cover.  It then takes a bit of patience to get it wound back in correctly.  Had one, and still have 2 that were my grandfathers, but I don't ever fish with them.

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#7 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 24 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

I was told to always pull out a bit of line, then release the spring before pulling out enough to cast with. Something about the spring jerking the the tip off the rod if the line was sucked back all the way at high speed. I had three or four  of auto winds back when,  but mine had very small line capacity.