Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly boxes

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 07:01 PM

Another good reason to wear a hat.

Yep

#17 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:42 PM

People have complained, on other threads, about those sealed fly boxes.  You can't put a fly in there wet, since it can't dry out. 

Perhaps you need to reread what you said. Clearly, people (me) are not reading what they want to see. I should throw some happy face imojis in here so everybody knows I'm not angry but men shouldn't use imojis so I won't.

I have both sealed and unsealed. I find the sealed ones heavier and bulkier then the unsealed. I hang my wet flies on a cork or I put them on a tray in the boat. I do this with flies and spin fishing lures. I've never put anything away wet.

#18 Lesg

Lesg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:08 AM

Another advantage to sealed boxes is, while wading, if you slip and fall on your ass they don't fill up with water. Don't ask how I know this.

Les

#19 fshng2

fshng2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 11:07 AM

Not to hijack Mark's thread, I have a Bugger Barn that I have placed a silicone slit strip on. Put wet flies on there to dry.

Darrell, where do you buy silicone slit strips?

#20 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

Not to hijack Mark's thread, I have a Bugger Barn that I have placed a silicone slit strip on. Put wet flies on there to dry.

Darrell, where do you buy silicone slit strips?

See Darrell, now you went and hijacked my thread. smile.png I knew that was going to happen. But wait, where do you get slit silicone strips?

#21 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 15 January 2020 - 06:07 PM

+1 on waterproof boxes when wading or fishing the salt....period. Deal with used/wet flies off the wool patch on wading vest and get the used salties rinsed off and dry to back in the boxes. Experience the best teacher. Laying everything out after tumping over wading dealing with all the matted up flies only takes once.... Plastic zip lock bags for lil midge boxes, cell phone, toilet paper, etc also. Like somebody said I pretty much hit the drink wade fishing or duck hunting....
2035.gifC33-F8428-B3-CD-4-B95-B23-B-4-D28-D631-A

#22 DarrellP

DarrellP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:33 PM

I get the silicone strips from Feathercraft. Very handy. Thinking of replacing some in my Cliff's products, or just buy some meat locker fly boxes.
"Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job." John Geirach

#23 Mark Knapp

Mark Knapp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

It's all about full boxes. Here's one of my new boxes all filled up on one side.

DSCF4795-X2.jpg