Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
L. B. Fly Tyer

Ice Fishing Question

'Tis the season for ice fishing and I was wondering if anyone ties their own jigs for palm roding? I'm thinking about doing it because it is cheaper than buying jigs at a store. I also saw these Insta jig tungsten head by hareline and though about using these instead of molding my own jig heads. Has anyone used these before?

post-59929-0-94735000-1481409290_thumb.png

When I lived in a place with ice, I use to tie jigs all of the time. Not really tie them, rather put lead on like for flies, but then I had an array of nail polish and painted any color you wanted. Put speckled on them, solid colors, add some tails etc. Quite fun, just like tying flies, gave me some pride when I would be pulling up fish and no one

else seemed to be able to.

Has anyone ice fished with a weighted fly? If so what kind? Nymph I would imagine??? Scuds?? Thought about trying a couple if I went ice fishing this year.

I just use a bare hook when ice fishing.

A bare hook has a better chance of penetrating the ice cube without pulling it out of the glass.

A bare hook also doesn't add bad flavors or stray bits of feather and hair to my iced tea or water.