Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

S.B.B. (Smallmouth Bunny Bugger)

There is no question that the wooly bugger is an effective and versatile fly. This is a variation of it that I find make it more effective for targeting bass. While I have used it for largemouth in the past, this specific tie is for smallmouth bass. Being chartreuse, (a popular color pattern for smallmouth in my area) it works great! Along with 2 other fly patterns, I was able to get 12+ smallmouth bass the last trip I took. This one alone got 3 of them.

This fly could be tied a bit smaller, or larger for other species as well. I find a size 8-10 hook works well with trout (also a regular sized zonker) and a size 1/0-3/0 works well for pike. You could also use this for walleye (6-10 size) or crappie (10-14 size). You can change the colors up to what ever suits your area. So give it a try!

Hook: Daiichi 2220 - Size 4
Weight: Brass cone head - Large, black
Thread: Danville 210 flat waxed - Chartreuse
Tail: Marabou - White
Wire: Ultra wire - Small, chartreuse
Body Wrap: Chenille - White
Hackle: Rooster cape - Chartreuse grizzly
Top wing: Magnum rabbit zonker - Chartreuse
Pectoral fins: Barred rubber legs - Chartreuse
Cement: Hard as Hull head cement
UV resin: Solarez "Thin Hard" formula

McFly!!!! You did it! A video I like.

Material list - Check

Short length - Check

Clear instruction - Check

Decent tune - Check

Nice nails - Check

I'm gonna tie some up as I'm about to make the switch to SMB after a great spring of shad and stripers. They look perfect for the 8wt.

Lol poop, this has been my video model for over a year. Haha. Glad you liked it. Go back and watch some of my others, 90% of them have been just like this for a long time.

I personally like fishing my 6wt better for SMB but that's just me. Also I have a pretty stiff 6wt. But 8wt will be perfect also. This fly is a bit heavy, and probably an 8wt will be easier to get out there better.

I don't have a 6wt So my choice is a 4, 5 or 8. The 5 causes me a tiring amount of flailing around with fluffy streamers. I find the 8 takes far less effort for the bigger flies. Of course the shooting head I have with the 8 makes it cast like a spinning rod. One flip and it's out there 50 ft. That pretty much covers most of the distance I ever need. Throw one false cast in there and I can hit everywhere I need to before moving the boat closer to where I want to fish.

Yeah I totally get that, like I said, I prefer the 6wt, but an 8 will help get it out there easier. In fact my 8wt is rather noodley, and my 6wt is very stiff, so I actually cast a bit better with it unless they are really large flies. But yeah, that's why I do the 6wt... if I had to choose a 5 or 8 I would also choose the 8. Sorry if it seemed I was coming down on you for your rod weight choice. That was not my intention. Not at all.

What about adding a little bit of chartreuse ice dub right behind the cone to finish off the head and add a touch more flash?

Yeah you could do that for sure! :)

McFly, you have apologized to me and explained yourself to me. None of that is needed. Your comments on the 6wt was a proper and valid opinion. I can assure you I never get upset, hurt feelings or ruffled feathers about anything other then comments about my mother. Nor do I intentionally try to ruffle the feathers or feelings of others. One time I said unflattering things about the mother of a driver going road rage on me but generally I stay away from insulting mothers as well.

Good looking pattern - and it would also make a great minnow pattern for use in the brackish areas of the Everglades with a change of hooks...

Yes your right Capt... Throw on a saltwater hook, and its everglades ready. This seems to be quite popular, people like this one. So I am going to make a few versions, saltwater being one of them. Another one people requested was one for largemouth (like a crawfish pattern).

-for the Glades.... add a weedguard if possible since that bug will be tossed up against mangroves all day long....

-for the Glades.... add a weedguard if possible since that bug will be tossed up against mangroves all day long....

Absolutely! I never show weed guards in my tying because they are simple to add on any fly. But thinking about this, I should probably do a video on adding weed guards for my subscribers. Haha

A wire weedguard is pretty much a signature on just about every pattern I generate (if possible....). It allows you to actually toss a fly into the bushes and then slide it back out and allow it to drop right where you wanted it in the first place...