Fly Tying
Fletchfishes

My Tying Bench

Just completed construction of a new library room in the house that includes a fly tying area along with storage. Thought I'd share a few photos. Let me know if you have any suggestions on how to improve! Thanks!

0tC8uKa.jpg

G2xwqQX.jpg

Cpq0m4f.jpg

Y2n8JMO.jpg

Details:

All stained solid Walnut cabinets.

Drawers and display cabinet for fly tying storage.

Desk is ~37" (counter height) to provide options for sitting and/or standing while tying.

Beautiful work! You did a great job of setting up a lot of storage. You will appreciate your decisions every time you tie.

Beautiful room Fletch. Love it. Only improvement I could recommend is to have me there tying !

Wow, are you trying to give us an inferiority complex or something? Nice set up!

That's a sweet set-up. No recommendations from me ... I can't see anything that would make it better.

Thank you for all the kind remarks.

Couple answers / comments:

1) Three windows looking outside - although this is in the Boston suburbs so while we have a nature reserve behind the house, I'm not looking out at much besides bushes and lawn. It's on the Northwest side of the house, so not much natural light.

2) The water in the glass was for soaking BIOTs.. Scotch was in my hand and a decanter on the shelves you can't see in these shots! I like where you are going with that comment BCT!

3) It's a mixed use space, I also use it as my home office when I don't go into work which is why there's two other seating areas (three if you count the leather armchair you can't see in these shots.)

4) Still working through the storage space - outside of all the bins which I've labeled (really saves time) - I find myself digging through drawers that are mostly empty at this point trying to recall where I stashed something. I suppose that'll work out over time. I'm planning to build a hook storage tower out of cut off pieces that can hold all of the magnet lined plastic trays I use for hook and bead storage.

5) Conflicted on tool storage. Part of the time I keep them in a foam block. The other half I keep them in the top drawer on the right side. I might end up using the drawer more often as it's nice to be able to just sweep the desk when it's time to clean up.

6) Trash can under the desk isn't really working... misc odds and ends just pile up on the desk and get in the way. Need to figure that out. I thought about the removable piece in the back of the desk that allows a trash bin but didn't have the heart to cut the desk surface. Such a nice piece of wood.

7) Speaking of wood - Walnut is softer than I would have expected. Not a huge deal, but definitely marks easier than other hardwoods.

8) Finish is a semi poly... head cement thinner doesn't play nicely with it! Hard lesson to thin my head cement over the sink next time.

Just another comment. I really like the idea of the 37" desk height. Realistically that should work sitting down and as you say, standing. A bar stool also comes to mind. Regarding tool storage, I ended up with a Lazy Susan kind of set-up. I'm sure you have probably seen them elsewhere. I agree with you, I would be hard pressed to cut a hole in that desk. Once again, a beautiful and functional set-up.