Fly Tying
Mike West

Pre shaped cork poppers..?

Does anyone still make and sell these?

Been searching & searching and can't find any.

Want size 10 & 12...cup faced classic style.

I know about making my own and the foam ones, I want cork pre shaped.

I wish the Waspi Bream poppers were cupped faced, someone use to make them because I have a few size 12 hard foam cupped faced ones from about 15 years ago but can't

find those either now.

TIA

😏

Sigh.....Herter's had it all. Tried Net craft?

D712A6ED-EBE6-4D9C-AFCA-A7B76BD9270A_zps

Prolly gonna have to buy the simple tapered corks and emery paper the cups, round the edges. I like cork better but convenience rules on the premade. I don't use balsa cuz tries to split but wrap with thread/glue before painting insures not splitting. Foam better for not painting but dull and limited colors...$.02

Using balsa

I spend one day shaping bodies and glueing to hooks next day reglue or start painting. Then later times do feathers legs etc. sanding/shaping cork is actually fast and easy and lends itself to total customizing...just saying

102_1014.JPG

But admittedly lately these 66 old fingers have been taking short cuts ....actually bought some premade /painted lil bream poppers at Basspro al had to do was tail, hackle, legs. But don't tell anybody

Mike... I'm curious as to why you prefer cork heads over the new foam ones. I used to use cork ones, still have a couple left, but I like the foam ones OK. Only one issue I have is the cork ones were slotted along the bottom so you could just attach it to the top of the hook, whereas the foam ones I've found all have a hole thru the middle.

Anyway, you can cup the ends of cork using a Dremel tool... they even make a bit that works perfectly for the purpose.

Yeah it's fun. I'm going to buy some Balsa and probably some cork it looks like and make my own. I have a Dremel tool and about to buy a Copic air brush and try to make some real pretty ones.

Right haven't done corks in a while, spoiled....getting worse ha painting even foam and styrofoam. I love glitter fingernail polishes!

EC73F013-5E69-40BB-84DC-9291C06BE591_zps

It's not so much I prefer them as it is I like them all.

I have hard foam and soft foam, just wanted some cork and balsa wood.

They all sit in or on the surface differently and serve a purpose.

Lil glitter dobbed on everything. Anyway, pre cupped cork poppers are a thing of the past....

510CCA66-B1CA-476D-837E-68B17866BDAD_zps

Pre-shaped cork popper bodies have become extremely difficult if not impossible to find. The last person I spoke to

was able to obtain ball shaped cork to make Round Dinnys from Portugal.

I bought a bag of a couple hundred cork bodies 10 or more years ago at a yard sale. Have not seen them commercially available in years. I'm running low. I like cork because I'm to cheap to pay the incredibly outrages price for preformed foam popper bodies.

I have a few cork floats like this... don't know if you can still buy them, but you can cut them in half to make heads, either standard or pencil.

post-52210-0-99668200-1458307876_thumb.jpg

PS I got that picture from Ebay, so apparently they have some for sale.

could you just turn your own either like people do with cheap foam and a drill or dremel, or use a belt sander? if I really wanted cork popper body's that's probably how I would go about it.

A few years ago there was an article in Fly Tyer Magazine on making your own cork popper bodies using wine corks I believe, with the use of a Dremel Motor Tool.

From the sound of your dilemma, you may have to research that article and then make your own cork bodies based on that article.

As cork is getting harder to find and certainly more expensive for us rod builders, it has also become scarce to find even in many wine bottles these days, for plastic + rubber stoppers seem to becoming the norm.

You can still purchase cork stoppers at a Michaels Craft Store or perhaps at any wine making store that might get to on your way.

Just a thought, but certainly a lot more work than what you had intended.