Fly Tying
Brodrash

Gurglers and trout???

Gurglers are common flies when targeting warm freshwater or the salt, but you don't hear of them fished as a trout fly often. I found a few photos online of trout with gurglers in there mouth, but other than that not much. Do any of you fish gurglers for trout?

I have not at pyramid they fish what's called the pyramid tadpole which is basically a gurgler but fished with a sinking line.

People use moorish mice as well mostly for Brown's which is basically a gurgler with deer hair under the foam and a trimmed zonker strip tail.

I would imagine during the day you would only catch the dumb hatchery trout or scare every fish out of a pool with one. Brown trout are nocturnal. Your little trout stream that produces 8 to 14 inchers also has some 20 inch plus monsters that only come out at night. In NC where I fish, most trout streams are closed to fishing after dark. I think two or three are open after dark. I miss night fishing.

Big browns like mice, crawfish, moths, minnows, snakes, etc. I don't often fish gurglers for saltwater, but I am sure they would work. They push water. I prefer a #2 muddler hybrid.

I used to tie & sell the following fly in a couple of color combinations for panfish. It's a Gurgler variation, and in the smaller sizes I tied it, it's similar to many of the foam trout flies on the market today so I have no doubt it wouldn't work for trout. I used the Mustad 3366 type sproat hooks in 10, 8 & 6, and would go with a better hook for trout, but otherwise wouldn't change it.

100_4937_zpse0ce478e.jpg

I used to tie & sell the following fly in a couple of color combinations for panfish. It's a Gurgler variation, and in the smaller sizes I tied it, it's similar to many of the foam trout flies on the market today so I have no doubt it wouldn't work for trout. I used the Mustad 3366 type sproat hooks in 10, 8 & 6, and would go with a better hook for trout, but otherwise wouldn't change it.

100_4937_zpse0ce478e.jpg

Did you mean to say you have no doubt that it will work for trout? The rest of the post seems to infer that foam trout flies work.

Trout aren't any different than other fish. It's only us marginally sentient fly fishermen who imagine them to be "smarter" or "better" than other fish. I've seen trout hit all kinds of silly things.

Trout aren't any different than other fish. It's only us marginally sentient fly fishermen who imagine them to be "smarter" or "better" than other fish. I've seen trout hit all kinds of silly things.

Someone on here once said that they saw a trout come up to a cigarette butt. Now given a choice, one could immediately switch over to fish cigarette butts on a hook for trout in that pool ! Who is the dummy in that case I wonder. How many trout have I opened up to find it full of cigarette butts ? Ah, none. The trout around here are generally either full of nothing ( stocked trout that have not acclimated yet but will hit any lure or small offering you send their way on your line and that might last for a week or two) or they are full of black muck in some waters where there are "coincidentally" black midges. Some really un-acclimated fishermen think they are sucking mud off the bottom, Bah Ha Ha ! In other places they might be full of herring fry. I've found trout to rarely (if ever) have a medley in their guts, it's usually a mess of one thing from fully digested to half digested or less.

I think we should all start a new fad, tying cigarette butt flies . Tie just one cigarette butt on a hook, get any fish in any pond or stream anywhere by changing out sauces LOL !