Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Flies for the SC coast.

I've been doing some tying recently, getting some flies ready for a trout fishing trip. Also tied some saltwater flies along the way.

Here's my newest additions to my saltwater fly boxes.

Rattle Rouser version

100_5537_zpsm469o8wj.jpg

Seatrout Special versions.

100_5607_zps2g4bjaos.jpg

100_5556_zpsfeoxdqvx.jpg

100_5557_zpsqlgyg2gy.jpg

100_5555_zpszz3xbdxw.jpg

Shrimp patterns.

100_5561_zpsenzsfs7p.jpg

100_5551_zps4iwev4jm.jpg

Crab

100_5553_zpsntwanedg.jpg

Rabbit Strip flies.

100_5564_zpsdt4fkqwd.jpg

100_5547_zpsvhh4mcug.jpg

100_5548_zpswrkwzazp.jpg

100_5550_zpsdrjzc943.jpg

100_5549_zpsxv8jlp0f.jpg

Seaducer versions

100_5560_zpsdoju3sp4.jpg

All of them are good looking flies .. but I really like the crab.

Casting these to pilings? I've heard the SheepsHead are fun to catch that way!

100_5553_zpsntwanedg.jpg

Mike, thanks! My experience here so far fishing the SC coast has been limited. Much of the fly fishing is along marsh creeks, or on flooded grass flats. There's a good deal of piers & other structures, so I would say yes to your question. Also, oyster & mussel beds are targeted areas, so likely any type of structure that might attract crabs might be good.

Back in MD, I only occasionally tried crabs, and for Striped Bass. The primary areas were along sod banks & around pilings were the bass might find soft shell crabs. Duck Blinds were always good places for a crab in tidalwater. There weren't many shallow flats were a crab could be best utilized, so baitfish patterns were used most.

Not sure what to expect with Sheepshead, as they seem to be caught in more open, deeper water around the bridges. My intention is to be targeting Redfish, Black Drum, Seatrout & Flounder primarily, up in the shallow creeks, but I won't be disappointed if a Sheepheads grabs a fly. smile.png

When I lived in North Carolina, I wasn't fly fishing much. That's where I got my fill of salt water, mostly bait fishing, though.

This was the procedure when we wanted Sheepshead for the table:

Take all the weights off our lines and tie on just a hook (1/0 or smaller).

Spend a few minutes (hours if they weren't cooperating) and catch 20 or so Fiddler Crabs.

Go to a bridge and stand over one of the pilings.

Hook a crab on.

Drop the crab on the surface, then splash it in the surface as close to the piling as possible. The intent is to make it look like the crab is struggling to get back on the piling. This also makes enough noise to attract attention.

Let the crab fall into the water and sink for a foot or so.

If you don't get a hit, repeat. But, if there's some Sheep down there, you'll catch one for every crab you have if they take them deep enough for hook set.

I would imagine false casting (with a water touch) several times, then letting the fly settle would be as effective as our method. Let me know how it works, if you try it.