Fly Tying
Moshup

Tiemco 600Sp

These are great hooks but boy are they crazy expensive. Anyone have a favorite source for these killers?

google - type in "tiemco 600sp lowest price" and shop for the lowest

use a substitute brand

sign up for online fly shop newsletters. they will send you notices when hooks are discounted.

jstockard is a good one. they have gamakatsu hooks at 15%off right now

I sure don't. I always use the cheapest mustads I can find. When it comes to hooks I have never bought expensive hooks because I have never lost a fish or had any problems that could be related to a cheap hook. Don't buy into the hype.

I do use the Tiemco 600sp for specific purposes and they are a bit pricey (and I'm only buying at wholesale - no they're just not available in quantity either..).

If there's a substitute with the same dimensions - I'm not aware of it (and I do use a variety and quantity of hooks). Any on E-Bay or other possible discount source will have come first from Wapsi - and no other source I'm aware of.

Like I said, for specific patterns I'll use them - but on nothing else...

All that money on rods, reels, lines, etc. etc. why worry about a buck a fly? I would hate to lose that mega fish to a cheap hook when all else is premium tackle. That is if your intent is chasing the bigger gamesters. For smaller trout and reds no big deal.

I agree with you Salty . Great hooks for a quality fish but a buck a hook for these is a bargain.

I didn't research the price but still cheap compared to a $1600+ for a top rod and reel and line. Not to mention the boat or guide money also involved.

Edit: checked ebay and you can get them for around $1.67 ea depending on size if you're really trying to pinch pennies.

everybody always talk about losing the fish of a lifetime when it comes to talk about expensive hooks. As I said I never lost a fish big or small because of a cheap hook and I suspect most haven't. For those who have I could find a story about every hook ever made failing. For 2.50 I'd want a warranty.

I don't usually need that hook, but I did find some on Amazon in larger quantities. They may be old stock but the did have size 2 and 4 in 31 packs for $25.15 or just 81 cents each. I don't see the size 4 hook from other shops, and the largest pack from most shops now is 14. Not many there but there were some.

Thanks Utyer. Looking for 2/0 s and as you know as the sz rqst goes up so does the price. Believe they sell mostly in small nbrs now because the price for a larger quantity would be pyschologically off putting. 150.00 for 100 hooks! Yowzzer !

When I noted that Tiemco's weren't available in larger quantities - that's the case today (but it wasn't always so...). By larger quantities I'm talking about buying at the 1000 level, per size - commercial quantities... Tiemco used to be offered in boxes of 100 (with an additional 10% off for the 1000 level) at wholesale - but that ended almost twenty years ago (if I remember correctly).

By comparison I'm still able to get Owner Aki in bulk.... and I've tried to minimize my costs always, if possible...

Check out the Owner SSW hooks. I use these for big offshore flies. They may be the closest thing similar to the 600SP. They have a cutting point and sometimes I find them in the straight eye model. Most of the time I use the upturned eye hooks. They have an offset hook point but it is not an issue when using flies.