Fly Tying
agn54

Gun oil?

Has anyone ever used gun oil instead of "reel oil" when lubing up your reels? This question goes for conventional as well as fly gear. They serve a similar purpose in acting against friction and to help prevent corrosion and from what I can tell Hoppes 9 oil to the naked eye looks just like the tubes of reel oil that Abu Garcia and Shimano give with their reels. The bottle of Hoppes says for fishing reels as well as firearms but I was wondering if anyone has ever used it, particularly in the salt? It is a bit cheaper than Penn oil and quite a bit cheaper than some of the other oils out there.

The only problem I've had with any of the lubes I've used on my reels, is when I try to fish in cold weather.

I wouldn't even try it, if I wasn't forced to spend time up here by my company !!! But I am, and I have tried to fish in cold temps. Some of the lubes I've used tend to get too thick to work. They start acting like a glue, and sticking the one way clutches "open". I end up with a birds nest when I go to pull out more line and the reel just keeps free wheeling.

Grrr ... just another reason to hate cold weather.

So, put a little reel oil in a cup, and a little gun oil in another and put them both in a freezer. After a while, see if either of them have thickened up to the point of "no flow".

It's a good little test for those cheaper engine oils, too.

I have used samples of gun oil (not Hoppes,) before. A sales rep dropped some off in my shop. They worked fine. I switched to a Silicone based grease and used that for years, and we didn't have any problems in the winter months.

I'm one of those anal types that cleans his reels often, every winter and during the season. I don't like waiting for unexpected problems. I don't use oil at all. I use marine axle grease lightly brushed on. Never had a problem, but like I said, I clean them often.

I don't lube single action fly reels at all. I might rub at bit of wax on the spindle. But I have the impression that petroleum products damage fly lines?

Thanks for the replies. I usually use grease for the gears and spool shaft but use oil on the washers. I figure the oils are similar enough products that you can use either for both functions.

Mike, thats interesting about the extreme cold. Luckily all of my fishing is done here in Florida so thats not a problem

I actually stopped using oil of any kind on my reels (including spinning) and use small amounts of white lithium grease.

S/A pistols as well.

Though I wipe them off with an oil like CLP Breakfree or B-C Barricade as a metal protectant.

I actually stopped using oil of any kind on my reels (including spinning) and use small amounts of white lithium grease.

S/A pistols as well.

Though I wipe them off with an oil like CLP Breakfree or B-C Barricade as a metal protectant.

I use CLP on my spinning reels.I got turned on to it in the service. Used it to lube all my weapons.Works great on something with lots of gears and moving parts

Thats a good idea with the CLP. The light film it leaves would add protection for sure

Any oil needs to be wiped off to be effective, other wise if not in closed system just collects dirt and becomes abrasive. A bit of water is all the lube a fly reel needs, I guess, mine are over forty years old and still work like new.

I use synthetics for my reels as most are cold weather friendly. Be aware around fly lines some lubricants are not friendly with fly lines.