Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Favorite Mysis Shrimp Recipe?

I am getting almost done tying for my steelhead box and was thinking about having a row or 2 for mysis shrimp imitations. I looked through the database and see theres lots of different patterns to imitate them and was wondering if you guys could tell me what your most productive one is and your favorite colors to tie it in. If you could post a pic and or recipe that would be great too. Thanks-Alex

Good Day,

I like several patterns for this type of fly. But rather than a specific pattern to tie, how about what I look for in a myssis pattern? Essentailly two things, translucency and obvious eyes. I feel these are the two most important factors for this type of fly.

Steelie

Alex,

I gotta do it.........I like my mysis recipes either scampi style or skewered.......Sorry, that was bad. I've never fished a mysis pattern. No call for it here in NW PA......unless I'm missing something. Maybe that's why I only catch 20 steelies a year instead of 200...........I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread. -Jamie D TB7

Alex, for my mysis patterns I usually use mono eyes, white krystal dubbed body, with a opal mirage flash back tied down with even wraps of x-small copper wire.

THanks guys! I tied up 5 tonight. I found a pic of a simple one on another site and modified it to my liking. I ended up using a 3xl curved nymph hook(size 14), then about 4 strands of olive krystal flash coming off the bend, extra small black bead chain for eyes, white ostrich herl for the body, and dun colored medallion sheeting pulled ovr top. Then I wrapped the tag ends of the flash as ribbing. Came out pretty slick, but reminds me more of a tailess albino hex nymh than a shrimp :lol:

The Recipe:

HOOK: Dai-Riki Scud/Pupa hook, #135, size 6, 1X strong, 1X short

THREAD: White Danville or UNI-Thread, 8/0

EYES: Black mono eyes, extra small

TAIL: Two strands of pearl Krystal Flash, wrapped in cream hackle barbs. Flash should extend slightly beyond the barbs

ABDOMEN: Ice White Caddis/Emerger dubbing, lightly dubbed and picked out

RIBBING: Danville fine monofilament, counter-wrapped to create a segmented body

THORAX: Ice White Caddis/Emerger dubbing, heavily dubbed and picked out

SWIMMING LEGS: Cream hackle, three or four turns, palmered forward over thorax

FRONT APPENDAGES: Cream hackle barbs laid between mono eyes, layered over hook eye

SHELLBACK: Clear thin skin, over abdomen and thorax. Lightly dab orange art marker beneath carapace; apply to thin skin or thorax dubbing

I found this one when going thru a couple pattern books and tied up a couple.. What i found is they work Great on Salmon river.. Steelies for some reason hit them hard..I only tied up three and lost two to North bound trains.. but isn't that the way it always is??

Attached Images

post-4410-1159975847_thumb.jpg

Ha. ha... Never looked at them as being cute before... all i know is that for some reason Steelhead love them..