Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jens Lund Adamsen

Green Highlander

Jens here is my effort inspired by yesterdays class

Its gonna be a while before i tie 4 wing layers

Any this is an orange templedog

i have tied this before and caught fish but i have learned a few tips from jens in the tying

all the best

john

post-4659-1163951320_thumb.jpg

post-4659-1163951358_thumb.jpg

post-4659-1163951392_thumb.jpg

Great flies! Now that I've seen the step of tying the Templedog style, I can see many other possibilities as well. Now I have a couple other modifications in mind (for some other flies) that will eliminate the transition in the two diameters tubing. There is a lot of flexibility here to play with.

Thanks for the lesson Jens, I have learned a lot. It was very helpful to see the individual steps involved in creating these flies. I'll be sure to post a fly when I get my hands on the right materials. I "need" to get some SLF hank material and some of these nice fur for the wing.

Man, it sure is cool being able to discuss fly tying with guys all over the world. I think we are actually living in the golden age of fly tying...

Jens here is my effort inspired by yesterdays class

Its gonna be a while before i tie 4 wing layers

Any this is an orange templedog

i have tied this before and caught fish but i have learned a few tips from jens in the tying

all the best

john

Hi John

I an glad you mention that you the flybefore my class :D

A few remarks (tying tips).

A. Even when you only use one colour in the wing you have to build it up with at least 3 sections to be able to taper it right 1. lenght of the body, 2. 1/3 longer 3. 1/3 longer.

B. Be very carefull not finish the fly with a build up head because then you end up with a space between the wing/hackle and the cone.

But dont worry a fly that catches fish - works!

Jens

Jens can you explain to me if Temple dog is just the matterial or also a term for a style of tying tubes?

Many thanks!

Hi

Temple dog is both.

A. it a material (hair coming from a dog)

B. A tying style invented by the Swedish fly tyer Haakan Norling back in 1990. Basically it is a tube fly where the upper most layer of the wing is tied on reverse and then folded back over the under wing to make a high profile wing that is very mobile in the water.

Jens

Jens:

Not only is this fly lovely to look it , it is also impeccably tied and no doubt will decimate the fish population. It should be outlawed!!!

Dave G